The use of ride sharing sites and social media.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just a short question I'd like some answers for please.

Does anyone think that the use of sites such as Strava, Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and any of the other ones out there combined with the use of social media can promote competitiveness amongst cyclists and other sports?

Thanks.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    LOL Strava has made club rides very competitive when we reach a Strava section.
  • pastabake wrote:
    Just a short question I'd like some answers for please.

Does anyone think that the use of sites such as Strava, Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and any of the other ones out there combined with the use of social media can promote competitiveness amongst cyclists and other sports?

Thanks.

You haven't suggested whether you see websites/social media that can promote competitiveness amongst cyclists and other sports as good or bad and for what reasons.

It doesn't require websites for people to manufacture competition, all it takes is someone to say 'I did XX miles in XX minutes' for people to enter willy waving competitions but such websites do open up such (mis)information to more people to get involved in such games.

Personally, I use such sites for looking at my own performance and for sharing info with family and friends. I don't give a jot how anyone else performs.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    LOL Strava has made club rides very competitive when we reach a Strava section.

It's making it less competitive now... as the people who already hold the KoM don't want to work, since they'll often just gift the segment to someone who sucks their wheel...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Just been looking at the latest updates to girls in knitwear then spotted the "ride sharing sites" part of this title and expected it to be a bit of wife swapping action. :shock:

Mightily disappointed it's about riding bikes, I could go on a cycling forum for that!!!! :D