If you were a pedestrian...

Ride hard
Ride hard Posts: 389
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
...and you saw a cyclist hurtling towards you when you and several other fellow lemmings had stupidly tried to cross the road at a pelican crossing on red at a notoriously dangerous, wide junction in Hammersmith (dangerous because its one way and traffic travels around it at speed - which isn’t helped by the fact you can’t see the traffic due to a blind corner) would you:

A) Think ‘Aye carumba! I don’t think I’ll be able to make it across in time so will be sensible, turn around and travel the 10 yards back to safety - as opposed to 50 yards forward and risk not getting home in time/at all for monthly ‘quality time’ night with the missus?

B) Think ‘I know its travelling fast, but It’s only a bike...I mean what damage can it do?’ and proceed to take your life in your hands by pegging it across the road faster than Usain Bolt, narrowly missing the fast approaching cyclist and a convoy of cars behind?

C) Same as B) except you take a more leisurely stroll across the road as you have a feeling that one of your fellow lemmings, and not you, will come a cropper because your daily horoscope said you will be a lucky that day?

D) Think nada, stop dead in your tracks in no man’s land and hope said cyclist will either stop in time – although they are only 20 yards away and gaining fast – or suddenly sprout wings thus avoiding parking the front wheel of their bike up your backside at high speed?

Having crossed the very same junction hundreds of times before I know which option I would go for (A), but let’s see who can guess what option Mr grey suit went for yesterday afternoon on a bright, clear day.

There’s a prize* in it for anyone who can also guess what happened next after Mr grey suit’s superior decision making ‘skills’.

*Your choice of any item of cycling clothing from Wiggle paid for by yourself. Go on treat yourself. its Christmas soon.
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Hmmmm- can I have a "D", please Bob?

Wouldn't think you'd need to cycle to Hammy for that- I remember suicidal pedestrian masses in Wimbledon, especially by the station.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If I was a pedestrian I'd use my eyes more, stop staring at my phone when crossing the road, and try not to step off the pavement with no warning whatsoever.
  • I'll be honest. I've accidently gone through zebra crossings not seeing pedestrians because of the backed up traffic - and i felt really bad for almost hitting them at 30+km/h. So when the shoes on the other foot, i just slow down and smile. I cycle through there quite often so i know what you're talking about but at the end of the day we're all just commuting to work. 5 seconds isn't going to kill.
  • Ride hard
    @ Mr Lex - Give that man a prize!

@ turnstyle. I totally agree. The same thing has happened to me on a few occassions where traffic is backed up by a crossing, I'm unsighted and have almost got caught out, but luckily managed to stop in time. The difference between that and this incident is the traffic lights were on green (ie caveat pedestrian) and although it appeared no traffic was coming (as I say its a blind corner) if I was a pedestrian I would still err on the side of caution - especially as I've seen cars zoom past in excess of 40 mph, not to mention the fact it was evening rush hour.

I know its probably been mentioned on here thousands of times before but I can never understand why the IQ of pedestrians reaches ground level if they are in a group of anything over 8 people. It's like they think I know that person has just stepped dangerously out into the path of rushing oncoming traffic so i'm going to do the same myself - even though I would never dare do it if I was alone.

I also loved the fact the guy looked very surprised in a 'its only a bike that's about to hit me' kind of way when I just about managed to swerve enough so I bumped his shoulder, instead of the other option of him having to get a 700c wheel surgically removed from his person.

Rant over :x I feel better now.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Hurrah & huzzah! I'm a winner! Mmm - can almost taste that lovely Haribo goodness...

Often wonder whether a 6' broom handle duct-taped to the top tube would assist in "reposturing" pedestrians for a more benign (to me) impact.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    I'd be wondering why the cyclist wasn't obeying the law and using the green light as a signal to "procede with caution" while at the same time wondering who the hell design a crossing that is 60 yards wide with no pedestrian refuge :wink:
  • Ride Hard - I'm guessing this is around rush hours. I've seen them do the same with cars and busses - especially around Ealing Broadway. I've put it down to just being a London thing.

What's worse is when pedestrians walk in groups on the cycle path along the A4 up to Sky in Osterley, which is quite a good distance alway from the actual footpath. They see you coming but still don't move. Used to make my blood curdle but at the end of the day it was only me getting angry and nobody else. Always good to get it off your chest though.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    As above - pedestrians have right of way... Just 'cos they are stoopid doesn't mean that you shouldn't ride appropriate to the road conditions and be able to stop in time in an emergency...
  • Significant number of people seemed to be keen on getting run over today...
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'd be wondering why the cyclist wasn't obeying the law and using the green light as a signal to "procede with caution" while at the same time wondering who the hell design a crossing that is 60 yards wide with no pedestrian refuge

Likewise. I'm also wondering what kind of idiot rides across a zebra crossing at "30 kph" when they know they their view is obscured by traffic. That speed is utterly irresponsible unless you have a clear view of the crossing and the pavement either side.
  • Ride hard
    Pross wrote:
    I'd be wondering why the cyclist wasn't obeying the law and using the green light as a signal to "procede with caution" while at the same time wondering who the hell design a crossing that is 60 yards wide with no pedestrian refuge :wink:

My spidey sense were on full alert as I know some brave/foolish souls always attempt to get across when the traffic lights says 'No/nein/non/nej/nao" even though they are unsighted. :shock:

And just to explain this is a major pedestrain crossing just outside Smith Broadway shopping centre/station and gives pedestrians ample time to cross safely when the traffic lights are on red. As I said, I have crossed there as a pedestrian hundreds of times before and would no way risk trying to make it across the road if traffic isn't stationary - especially if it was quality time night :D
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Many people seem unaware that if you turn into a road and there's a pedestrian crossing that you have to wait.

Obviously it is different if they cross in front of you on a straight road.
  • E) They don't believe in evolution or Darwin and believe God will look after them.

Many people can't seem to comprehend a push bike doing over 10mph.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Well in my case the other day, the cyclist stopped in front of me then proceeded to scream as I went hurtling over my handlebars and landing at their feet. They didn't offer to fix my bike though.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    You didn't provide an option (E) in the original post:

"Break into a moronic shambling half trot that's slower than a brisk walk but is somehow meant to make road users think they're hurrying . Possibly combined with a startled expression that looks like they've just been goosed with a chilled cucumber"

Always my first guess for what a pedestrian does when they realize they've walked in front of a bike
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ride hard
    jedster wrote:
    I'd be wondering why the cyclist wasn't obeying the law and using the green light as a signal to "procede with caution" while at the same time wondering who the hell design a crossing that is 60 yards wide with no pedestrian refuge

Likewise. I'm also wondering what kind of idiot rides across a zebra crossing at "30 kph" when they know they their view is obscured by traffic. That speed is utterly irresponsible unless you have a clear view of the crossing and the pavement either side.

Just to make it clear guys and gals this was a pelican crossing (ie the type where the pedestrian presses the press button and waits for Mr green man before crossing - that's if you want to be safe) and not a zebra crossing.

Without meaning to sound like saint cyclist, I always slow down when approaching a zebra crossing, and of course stop if someone is waiting to cross.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Ride hard wrote:
    (as I say its a blind corner)

I'd be lobbying the local council to have the x-ing moved. Sounds like it's in a bloody daft place.

However, I'd be very careful approaching it either as a ped or cyclist/driver, looking out for possible danger (and maybe slowing down just in case).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I hate "A" - see pedestrian, slow down, aim to go behind him on the crossing so we can both go on our way uninterrupted - idiot does funcky chicken rabbit in the headlights, then decides to hurtle himself backwards into your path, Grrrrr.

I'd rather they just stood still, or carried on walking at a predictable pace, I can then trust myself to take evasive action.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    BigMat wrote:
    I hate "A" - see pedestrian, slow down, aim to go behind him on the crossing so we can both go on our way uninterrupted - idiot does funcky chicken rabbit in the headlights, then decides to hurtle himself backwards into your path, Grrrrr.

I'd rather they just stood still, or carried on walking at a predictable pace, I can then trust myself to take evasive action.

Or looked before they stepped out? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

I'd be lobbying the local council to have the x-ing moved. Sounds like it's in a bloody daft place.

However, I'd be very careful approaching it either as a ped or cyclist/driver, looking out for possible danger (and maybe slowing down just in case).

Quite. From LTN 2/95 The Design of Pedestrian Crossings:-
    2.1.1.1 Crossings should be located away from conflict points at uncontrolled junctions. This will give drivers an adequate opportunity to appreciate the existence of a crossing and to brake safely. The ‘safe’ distance will depend on the geometry of the junction and type of side road. However, a minimum distance of 20 metres is suggested for a signalled-controlled crossing and an absolute minimum of 5 metres for a Zebra crossing. It is suggested that the distance be measured from the position of a driver waiting at the give-way line of the side road. Where it is impossible to obtain a ‘safe’ distance, consider banning turning movements towards the crossing or make the side road one way away from the junction.
    2.3.2 Pedestrians must be able to see and be seen by approaching traffic. Visibility should not be obscured or restricted by, for example, parked vehicles, trees or street furniture. If it is not possible to site the crossing elsewhere consideration must be given to either removing/resiting the obstacle or, if the carriageway is sufficiently wide, to building out the kerb-line to provide enhanced sight lines.
    5.2.3 Where the road is more than 15 metres wide a staggered layout should be provided. If the road width is greater than 11 metres a staggered layout should be considered.

Visibility requirements
    85 Percentile Approach Speed 25 30 35 40 45 50 (m.p.h.)
    Desirable Minimum Visibility 50 65 80 100 125 150 (metres)
    Absolute Minimum Visibility 40 50 65 80 95 115

Sounds like the crossing is sub-standard is several ways!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Kingston one way system is much the same. I rounded a curve in the car to be confronted with a man and boy, of about 12, stepping off the kerb to cross 3 lanes of traffic. I sounded the horn to alert them to my presence. They stopped in front of me and both stuck 2 fingers up and told me where to go. By this time the rest of the traffic is in chaos trying to get round the car that's had to stop in the middle of the road. The 2 idiots carried on standing there trying to start a fight. Perhaps I shouldn't have stopped. Only kidding.
  • Ride hard
    Pross wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

Quite. From LTN 2/95 The Design of Pedestrian Crossings:-
    2.1.1.1 Crossings should be located away from conflict points at uncontrolled junctions. This will give drivers an adequate opportunity to appreciate the existence of a crossing and to brake safely. The ‘safe’ distance will depend on the geometry of the junction and type of side road. However, a minimum distance of 20 metres is suggested for a signalled-controlled crossing and an absolute minimum of 5 metres for a Zebra crossing. It is suggested that the distance be measured from the position of a driver waiting at the give-way line of the side road. Where it is impossible to obtain a ‘safe’ distance, consider banning turning movements towards the crossing or make the side road one way away from the junction.
    2.3.2 Pedestrians must be able to see and be seen by approaching traffic. Visibility should not be obscured or restricted by, for example, parked vehicles, trees or street furniture. If it is not possible to site the crossing elsewhere consideration must be given to either removing/resiting the obstacle or, if the carriageway is sufficiently wide, to building out the kerb-line to provide enhanced sight lines.
    5.2.3 Where the road is more than 15 metres wide a staggered layout should be provided. If the road width is greater than 11 metres a staggered layout should be considered.

Visibility requirements
    85 Percentile Approach Speed 25 30 35 40 45 50 (m.p.h.)
    Desirable Minimum Visibility 50 65 80 100 125 150 (metres)
    Absolute Minimum Visibility 40 50 65 80 95 115

Sounds like the crossing is sub-standard is several ways!

An interesting read. I don't think the crossing meets many of those requirements personally, but then again I'm not a councillor at hammersmith & fulham council. Besides the crossing is right outside the shopping centre/tube station and is used by hundreds of people every mimute, so with all the will in the world i doubt there will be any plans to make an alternative anytime soon.