Bibs: 3/4s/tights recommendations?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Right that's it, I'm going mental reading reviews and checking numerous online stores. I need your help.

I need to get my autumn/winter kit sorted and could do with a couple of pairs of something long (I like 3/4s and don't really worry about the inevitable exposed skin, but should probably buy a pair of tights too). Mostly they will be for the half hour commute so top quality isn't absolutely necessary, but I would like to use them for 2 hour training rides throughout the colder season too.

The DHB roubaixs get decent reviews and are very good value, but I have a pair of DHB bib shorts that I have slight reservations of because of pad thickness. Beyond that, there are plenty of options, but nothing so outstanding that it becomes the obvious choice (though I'd love to jump in and go Assos, I can't really justify the expense). So, any advice from you guys would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• I quite like the look of these....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... bib-tights
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got 2 pairs of the Aeron Race 3/4s which I'm very pleased with. The pad seems nicer than on the 'basic' DHB shorts. The material is pretty thin though, so I think I'm going to be wearing my DHB roubaixs soon. Full length, toasty warm, but if I can remember correctly (not worn them since the last snowy period) the pad isn't quite as nice.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I have a set of DHB tights the roubaix I think and they're much better than the Endura that I also have.

The Endura 3/4 I have are OK but I usually avoid wearing them, as the pad is too thick and it feels like you're wearing a nappy. Unfortunately from my diving days I know exactly what this feels like :oops:
  • I like the Endura pad.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2011
    Chadders81 wrote:

You definitely have to respect the quali-tay

boselectajackson.jpg

CLPICIRBT_P2.jpg

Thanks mate, but I think I'll pass.
  • Thanks guys. So far DHB are winning then. Please keep 'em coming.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    In all honesty, the best 3/4s I own are the Assos Mille Roubaix ones - excellent pad, good cut and fit, the grippers hold the legs well without being tight - and I got a good deal from the LBS.

Next best would be be a De Marchi pair I picked up in a shop sale on a complete whim - roubaix fleece, good pad and fit, and cost about half what I got the Assos ones for (but more than half as good!)

I've got some Gore lycra ones (i.e. normal bib-short thickness) and they're ok, but not great.

If you can find the De Marchi ones anywhere I'd definitely try them - as I said, it was a random, just walked into a shop and thought bugger it type of purchase!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fwiw, I used fleece-lined running tights under normal bib shorts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've had a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biemme-Corona ... 181wt_1002

for the last two winters, I would recommend them highly. Very warm and great quality.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Greg66 wrote:
    I like the Endura pad.

Really, I find it's too bulky and moves to the front and thus in the wrong place, I prefer the Altura pad in the pro-gel shorts and then the DHB pad.
  • Thanks chasps!

I may well give those cheapy ones you recommend a go UE and then put the money saved towards a posh pair for longer rides.

I got some bumf through the door about EBC having a sale weekend this one coming up so there might be something worth checking out there too.
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Why not just go with bib shorts and knee warmers? costs about the same and is more versatile.

Why not just go with bib shorts and knee warmers? costs about the same and is more versatile.

Was actually considering that. Not at all a bad idea!

not quite the same though

bib shorts and knee warmers work great for me around now and possibly for a few more weeks - and great for cold mornings when it warms up.

But after that, in winter, you need something warmer, IMO, especially if out for >2 hrs.

I've gone for the DHB Roubaix tights with pad. My only fear is that there won't actually be enough warmth around the, er, action areas of arse & groin, and that I'll have to bung a pair of lycra running shorts on over the top.

It occurs to me that if you want to save a few bob, the cheap option is just buying a pair of warmish running tights and sticking them on over your bib shorts.

PS: if Gore's bib-tights are anything like their bib-shorts then they're v good value.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:

So you don't have the pad next yo your derrière?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Not bibs but the Fox Evolution 3/4s are a work of wonderment. Fleecy, toasty, great pad, everything you've asked for except for the bib bit!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Well I went for the DHB Pace Roubaixs in the end based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews, the price with discounts, and the advice of a colleague and I wore them for my ride in today. So far they feel amazing: toasty warm, comfortable, well padded where it counts and something about the cut makes me look like I have massive quads (it is, of course, quite possible that I actually do have massive quads :D ).

Only problem now is I want to ponce around in the house in them, they're so comfy. I'm sure, in time, my fiance will learn to appreciate the Robin Hood look.

Thanks for the thoughts all!
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I went for the dhb pace roubaix, and doing my second winter in them. but without a pad and with my usual shorts underneath. that way I wash my bib shorts every day (as normal) but the tights only get a wash once a week.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I too have just bought the dhb pace roubaix. Not as well padded around the knees as my old dhb Merston so will see how they hold up in the really cold weather and those damn ankle zips will do my head in. I'd read about them beforehand but they really do have to be seen to be believed. Ugly big things and even with overshoes on they had opened a bit :roll:

Other than that they are really comfy and have a nice feel and fit to them so happy enough - just no ecstatic.
  • wyadvd wrote:
    I went for the dhb pace roubaix, and doing my second winter in them. but without a pad and with my usual shorts underneath. that way I wash my bib shorts every day (as normal) but the tights only get a wash once a week.

That's actually a decent idea. Can you comfortably wear bibs under bibs?
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Missed this, sorry.

Yep - as they're running tights, the seam wasn't very noticeable, but when I stopped that running lark, I cut them so the pad's right next to where it needs to be.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Missed this, sorry.

Yep - as they're running tights, the seam wasn't very noticeable, but when I stopped that running lark, I cut them so the pad's right next to where it needs to be.

So you have lycra chaps?

:shock:
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Missed this, sorry.

So you have lycra chaps?

:shock:

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wyadvd
    doyler78 wrote:
    I too have just bought the dhb pace roubaix. Not as well padded around the knees as my old dhb Merston so will see how they hold up in the really cold weather and those damn ankle zips will do my head in. I'd read about them beforehand but they really do have to be seen to be believed. Ugly big things and even with overshoes on they had opened a bit :roll:

Other than that they are really comfy and have a nice feel and fit to them so happy enough - just no ecstatic.

thats a very good point, I had forgotten about that major niggle. the zip is a lockdown zip , but its upside down so obviously it doesnt lock. I have a pair of shimano Mw80s on my feet and put the stirrup over the top. I figure that in the rain, water will be less likely to goe into the ankle of the boot. but the zip is always undone by the time i get to work.
  • wyadvd
    just had a thought. some evostick and a couple of patches of velco would sort the zip problem maybe
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd wrote:

That's actually a decent idea. Can you comfortably wear bibs under bibs?

yes ive been doing it for two winters now(just going into my third) . I've got a descent blue pair of 3/4s (the ones that went cheap on wiggle about a year or two back) and also some plain lycra tights, which I have unstitched the pad from, and keep my assos and desoto 400mile shorts on under them. . gives a bit of extra warmth round the nethers too. to be honest, the pad they put on dhb stuff a couple of years back felt like riding on the sharp edge of a sebatier compared to the assos pad. However I believe the dhb pads are now identical to the assos pads if you go for the top option.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    I've had a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biemme-Corona ... 181wt_1002

for the last two winters, I would recommend them highly. Very warm and great quality.

Thanks UE, had some delivered to work Friday, v. pleased with ride home; super toastie & super comfy. Plus service from High on Bikes 1st class. :D