Mudguard clearances on Spesh Secteur Elite

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Just persuaded SWMBO that we need to change the current car when I spotted a good deal at a local dealership.

Unfortunately that outlay has somewhat overshadowed the expenditure on a dedicated winter bike so that idea has been firmly kicked into touch. Consequently I will have to persevere this winter on the Spesh. Rode it through last winter without guards and was lucky to avoid most of the sh*tty weather.

However I am resigned to fitting guards for this winter and want to know if anyone out there has managed it succesfully on the Spesh - particularly since I favour 25mm tyres for that extra bit of comfort. (Just taken advantage of the Planet X deal and got some Conti GP4000s's for £25 apiece with free delivery).

The Secteur Elite has more or less the same geometry as the Allez and the Roubaix so if anyone has succesfully fitted guards to these bikes let me know. I'm sure I read somewhere that even Crud MkII's are problematic. So will I be OK with them or even some SKS race blades

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have just fitted a pair of crud Mk II's to my 58cm roubaix pro (2007 model) with remarkably little drama. The tyres are Conti 4 Seasons on dura ace wheels. Didn't have to cut or trim anything to fit them. Admittedly two colleagues in work had fitted them to their own bikes and more than gave me a hand with mine!

Peter
  • northpole
    PS Bought mine from Ribble for just shy of £22. I needed to buy a couple of other bits & bobs so post was free (above £35).

Peter
  • Hi northpole I am in same postion as OP (same bike, same size tyres, same decision re winterproofing) did your Roubaix have 25mm tyres with those guards fitted and do the guards rub?
  • I have a Secteur with 25mm tyres fitted. I put Mk2's on for a sportive early in the season and they do fit with a bit of fiddling and trimming - but only just. I was ready to chuck 'em over a hedge at first because every little piece of grit and debris seems to get caught up but after a few miles the rubbing got less and less (I guess as the guards wore down to a better fit).

I now have 23mm tyres the Mk2's fit perfectly and I hardly notice the difference in ride comfort.
  • northpole
    Sorry for the late reply. My tyres are 23mm, but as 4 Seasons, I would suggest a rather generous 23mm! The fit is very snug and the guards do wobble a bit without irritating. I didn't have to cut or trim any of the bits and pieces to fit them. 25mm could just be a bit too much - not at all sure - seems like Pumpkin has been there, seen it, done it, etc...

Peter
  • Thanks for the info Peter and Pumpkin - I think any rubbing would drive me crazy so maybe I should hold off - but then a wet and cold bum ain't much fun either! Maybe I should sacrifice the comfort of 25mm -will have to ponder that one.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    to the OP and anyone else for info,just managed to fit a pair of SKS P35s to an Allez with 25 mm tyres-lot of faff,some cutting of the stays (boy are they tough,needed an electric saw) but it is just possible and they are very snug.Since they are meant to be the Rolls Royce of guards,now looking forward to rain .Not.On reflection,wouldnt recommend it,stick to Raceguards.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    nevman wrote:
    to the OP and anyone else for info,just managed to fit a pair of SKS P35s to an Allez with 25 mm tyres-lot of faff,some cutting of the stays (boy are they tough,needed an electric saw) but it is just possible and they are very snug.Since they are meant to be the Rolls Royce of guards,now looking forward to rain .Not.On reflection,wouldnt recommend it,stick to Raceguards.

Hi Nevman

From your final comment I am inferring that you think the SKS Race Blades would be OK on your Allez and would fit with less hassle.?? Just trying to get a feel for what would be the best option. Seems from other comments above that I might be OK with Cruds but if you think the Race Blades would be easier I might go with them.