Spesh Roubaix?

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
For a while I've been wanting to replace my commuter with something more interesting but not an aggressive racer like my weekend bike. Still like the look of the Pinarello FP2 105 and the Orbea Aqua but both a bit of an aggressive stance for commuting and I can't get a 2011 CAADX 105 in my size anywhere (plus not keen on the cantis).

So get a call from insurance company this morning... offered me £1500 in full and final for my little off in September - not bad for a graze, two bruises and a torn mitt... could have been worse. Cycle Surgery only charged me £30 for a safety check and amazingly found no damage to the bike. I digress...

Anyway, wandered up to Cycle Surgery at lunchtime to get some leg warmers and started browsing bikes and then I saw it.... the new 2012 Spesh Roubaix with full 105 and Fulcrum wheels.... well I was planning on spending £1000+ anyway and now I have another £1500 to play with the £2000 for the Roubaix is within reach.... and I am assured it'll take a Topeak seat post carrier and laptop bag for those few times I need to take the laptop home...

Someone please tell me this isn't a good idea... (other than Mrs OB, but then I sort of forgot to mention the off to her... :roll: but what she doesn't know....)
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• I recommend you try it. Another sportive bike which I went for is the Scott CR1 (Westbrook cycles still have the 2011's with 25% off, Cr1 Team £1400). Both similar bikes, but the Cr1 is a little more responsive, stiffer (but I wouldn't be disappointed with either).

Bloody good bikes, they have a habit of making most roads seem nice.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Go on! I bought a Roubaix Expert test bike in July and absolutely love riding it. To be fair, I only tried a Sirrius & Secteur in comparison before it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I recommend you try it. Another sportive bike which I went for is the Scott CR1 (Westbrook cycles still have the 2011's with 25% off, Cr1 Team £1400). Both similar bikes, but the Cr1 is a little more responsive, stiffer (but I wouldn't be disappointed with either).

This. I tried the Roubaix and found it to be very 'magic carpet' and ended up with the CR1 as it felt more connected to the road. Both very good bikes though.

Another option, and a little special, would be a 2011 Colnago CLX 2.0. Can be picked up for a smudge over £2k.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I have a Roubaix as my weekend bike (2008 Elite compact, with Fulcrum 5s) , and I think it's great. There's no way I'd use it to commute though.

Obviously this is highly dependent on the nature of your commute, but I'd rather go for something that would be more adaptable and take full mudguards, and frankly is less of a worry. IMO (obviously) commuting on a Roubaix is like commuting in a Porsche. You're wasting it.

I use a cross bike (Kona Jake) for commuting as you can fix mudguards to it permanently, and it'll also take a rack. Mine's set up with a Carradice bag support and I chuck all my gear in a Nelson Longflap bag, which is big enough to take a 15" laptop. I did get a very good deal on an Easton fork which it now runs, but that's as trick as it gets.

Why go any fancier? It's only for commuting on after all.

I'm normally one for convincing myself to spend on stuff that's overkill, but I'm having a brief moment of clarity here. :)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Amusingly enough, I bought my Roubaix to make my commute a fast, enjoyable one. I will hang it up when winter starts and return to either MTB or ancient Saracen or perhaps when really poor weather, the Porsche*.

*not true; actually a Land Rover
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Buy it and use it as your weekend bike. New stem for the Jamis - use that for commuting.

BHAM.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I recommend you try it. Another sportive bike which I went for is the Scott CR1 (Westbrook cycles still have the 2011's with 25% off, Cr1 Team £1400). Both similar bikes, but the Cr1 is a little more responsive, stiffer (but I wouldn't be disappointed with either).

This. I tried the Roubaix and found it to be very 'magic carpet' and ended up with the CR1 as it felt more connected to the road. Both very good bikes though.

Another option, and a little special, would be a 2011 Colnago CLX 2.0. Can be picked up for a smudge over £2k.

hmmm... looking at the geometries (I know that there's nothing better than a test ride but can't get them back to back), the equivalent sizes would be the Roubaix in a 49, the Colnago in a 45, and the Scott in a 49, all of which are similar to the Cannondale in a 44 (TT lengths 518/518/515/515 respectively compared to my current road bike at 525) so all a slightly more relaxed geometry. All get good reviews, though the Scott CR1 Team comes up on the 'harsh' side in more than one review, but one man's harsh is another's connected so wont read too much into that...
  • Buy it and use it as your weekend bike. New stem for the Jamis - use that for commuting.

BHAM.

Well that was plan B.... but the Jamis is very skittish on poor surfaces and a shorter stem (I guess thats your suggestion) would make that worse I think... I have commuted on it but I wanted a more upright relaxed stance... I've already paid for the Jamis in commuting savings this year...
  • Asprilla wrote:

hmmm... looking at the geometries (I know that there's nothing better than a test ride but can't get them back to back), the equivalent sizes would be the Roubaix in a 49, the Colnago in a 45, and the Scott in a 49, all of which are similar to the Cannondale in a 44 (TT lengths 518/518/515/515 respectively compared to my current road bike at 525) so all a slightly more relaxed geometry. All get good reviews, though the Scott CR1 Team comes up on the 'harsh' side in more than one review, but one man's harsh is another's connected so wont read too much into that...

It really is a 3-bears and porridge scenario, finding the one that's just right. After I had been spending some on the Cr1 and then taking my old Trek 1000 into town (I don't fancy leaving the new bike in public). I had to stop and check that I didn't have a flat, it really felt like I was riding on the rims! The harshness is what put the wheels through when I speed over crap tarmac.

I sort of get your take for making commutes better. I did take the bike on a commute from Exeter to Exmouth (fantastic ride, Sustans spent millions on that route) and the guys in the office thought I got laid the night before because of the big grin on my face.

Is there really no way to try these bikes? After a few test rides you will know what is right. Alternatively you could buy both then send one back (thanks to statutory 7 day returns from the distance selling regs).

Oh one gotha, with the Cr1 is to qualify for the 5 year frame warranty you have to take the bike to be serviced by an authorised Scott dealer every year (otherwise it is only 3 years). But Spesh offer lifetime warranties.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've got a Roubaix. I liked it. I like it more since a nasty back injury pushed comfort much higher up the list of priorities. It's definitely more sedate and laid-back than many road bikes - by comparison a Focus Cayo is like riding a crack-smoking ferret downstairs.

2k sounds a bit much for a bike with 105 though, Fulcrums or not. At that price point, I'd probably be looking for something a little bit more "special".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.