LEJOG Alternative - Who's joining me!?

richpuk1
richpuk1 Posts: 21
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi all

In 2012 I am planning to cycle from the most the Westerly to the most Easterly points in mainland Britain.

I am putting my plans on here to see if anyone is interested in joining me.

I haven't got the route planned yet, but the two points are from Ardnamurchan Lighthouse http://www.ardnamurchanlighthouse.com/ to Ness Point in Lowestoft http://www.ness-point.co.uk/

This would be the route via car:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Ard ... ls&t=m&z=6

As this challenge is similar to Lejog - just West/East, rather than South/North - I decided to apply to Guiness World Records to see if I could do the ride as a new world record. I eventually got a reply saying the following.....

"Dear Richard
Thank you for your enquiry. We understand your desire to set your own cycling record, however, because we recieve thousands of requests for place-to-place records, we only select those that have international appeal (i.e. John-O-Groat's to Land's End, swimming across the English Channel, etc).
Thank you."

This response was quite frustrating, as it would have been an excellent motivator to do the ride for a world record. However, I have decided to do the ride anyway for a yet to be chosen charity.

I'm hoping to find people on here who is up for a challenge for a good cause.

Cheers
Richard

Comments

• hi rich, sounds interesting!
    how long are you planning this for?
    we did mull to hull this year in 8 days (490 miles) and your route is very close to what we did, if you need any help, just ask!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's a great idea. I was considering the LEJOG thing for next summer (in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust) but kinda feel it's been "done to death" (impressive though it is). This has the appeal of being "different"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hi Bobs Bikes & Meanredspider

Meanredspider, you hit the nail on the head when you says lejog has been done to death - that was my thought exactly.

Bob Bikes, I haven't done any long tours before - but I'm very capable of knocking out a century on a Sunday. So I would probably be looking at 6 or 7 days for the ride.

Looking roughly around May time next year for the ride. I don't know anyone personally that would be up for this - so I'm hoping to find people that on here that are interested, hoping also for some company for the ride.

Cheers
    Rich
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    I've been thinking of doing something like this myself (I was planning either cornwall or south wales to lowestoft which are almost straight across the country)

I'd definitely consider joining anyone that is doing this.
  • meanredspider
    Cool - let me have a think about whether I should commit to it - mostly because I've not done anything close to that distance before and May doesn't give me much half-decent weather (up here) to get some long-distance & back-to-back rides in and I'd hate to slow anyone up.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • If there's enough interest, I may go back to Guiness and show them how many people would like to do this.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't let me do this as a record.

I do undertand they would be bombarded with any old place to place record attempts (e.g. home to work, a record of my commute!)

But I think my start and finish points have enough significance for them to accept it as a record.

Meanredspider, if you are keen to join me.... it doesn't necessarily have to be around May - this is a thought I've had in the background for sometime, and if the date would need to be postponed, it wouldn't matter to me.
  • I've been looking for a new challenge next year, and something like this might suit me very well. Can you keep me up to date with your plans?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    This sounds interesting! I'd be cautiously prepared to ride; what sort of pace are you expecting to be able to set?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • meanredspider
    richpuk1 wrote:

Meanredspider, if you are keen to join me.... it doesn't necessarily have to be around May - this is a thought I've had in the background for sometime, and if the date would need to be postponed, it wouldn't matter to me.

Cool - late May is doable. I'm able to be doing 160-180 miles a week commuting through the winter plus whatever I can do at the weekends - it's just that the days are really short up here for long rides.
  • Cool

I'm very grateful for everyone's interest so far. My email address is richepinnock@hotmail.com

Anyone who would like me to keep them informed about any details about the ride, you're very welcome to send me an email.

Cheers
    Richard
  • richpuk1 wrote:
    If there's enough interest, I may go back to Guiness and show them how many people would like to do this.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't let me do this as a record.

I do undertand they would be bombarded with any old place to place record attempts (e.g. home to work, a record of my commute!)

But I think my start and finish points have enough significance for them to accept it as a record.

I think that the underlying reason for their refusal to contemplate it being eligible as a record is that it is geographically specific and that it excludes riders who can not get to the UK to participate.

Guinness Book of Records would, however be interested in records that are based on distance i.e. fastest 1,000 miles as this is not limited by geographical location unless you were unfortunate enough to be a lighthouse keeper at Eddystone light house.

Besides what exactly would be the record that you hope to establish? Fastest completion? First to complete it? What is so unique about the ride?