Colnago Superissimo

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited November 2011 in Your road bikes
Hello

Finally got my hands on my Colnago frame that I've owned for maybe 12 years. Never been put together but hoping to complete over the winter.

Still trying to decide how much silver bling campagnolo to add or go for a black campy groupset. Quite taken with the black/red look of the Centaur groupset. Also I'd like a white set and Handlebars but must decide if they will clash with a blakc groupset and black wheels. Opinions welcome

Frame weight = 1854 grams
Fork Wieight = 634 grams

IMG_5870.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

Comments

• i'd say silver throughout, with red bar tape. get them lugs silvered up too! :) mmm
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I think the colour would suit a black groupset - any current Campag with a carbon chainset. White tape and saddle, black seatpost, black stem, black wheels 8)
  • bobgfish
    I think the colour would suit a black groupset - any current Campag with a carbon chainset. White tape and saddle, black seatpost, black stem, black wheels Cool

This is more or less my thinking. Retro but with a modern twist. Not sure the budget will stretch to Carbon but time will tell. The stem is the part I'm struggling with. Got my heart set on 3T but don't seem to be many options. It may have to be silver.

Found out today the frame is from 1995.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I just sold a black 3t quill stem. Don't say you wanted a 120.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    A frame like that should have a period groupset IMO.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • bobgfish
    I just sold a black 3t quill stem. Don't say you wanted a 120.

Would have been perfect. Drats !!! Have found that planet X have quite a few.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ST3TQUID/3ttt-quid-quill-stem
    Issue is I want 42 cm wide handlebars to match colour. Silver of both Stem and Handle bar would work too.
    A frame like that should have a period groupset IMO.
    Love to do this. Question is where and at what cost. Also don't want to get somone elses problems.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Hmm I'm not sure black would work quite as well with those forks.

Nice looking frame. You've really had it for 12 years and done nothing with it?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • bobgfish
    Hmm I'm not sure black would work quite as well with those forks.

Agreed. Want to stick with 3T handlebars and stem. Can't really find that many for sale which is the limiting problem. A black seat post would still work with black groupset. Not many silver seatposts round these days either.

Can't remember when I brought the frame but I've been married for 12 years and it was before then. Completely untouched and virginal. Dicovered my Wife and Mountain biking and got sidetracked for a while. Also moved countries twice and finally got someone to hand deliver it last week !!!
  • bobgfish
    edited October 2011
    So been out today and brought

3TTT- 3T polished quill stem "Syntesis" 120mm. A big on the long side but best I could easily get at a reasonable price
    Stem = 280 Grams

IMG_5882.jpg

And a set of handlebars

3T handlebar MORPHE 46cm outside to outside. Almost perfect but could have had a more classical shape. It was either silver with funny shape or grey with Classical shape.

HandleBars = 250 grams
    IMG_5884.jpg
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    Great choice, look like they will match well, agree with the same time period as frame bits mentioned above. Really handsome frame
  • bobgfish
    And I've finally got my hands on a set post !!! Taken some time.

Selcof 250mm at 242 grams

IMG_5909.jpg