Rear mech advise

DODGEYONE
DODGEYONE Posts: 44
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have a boardman fs with dero shifters off a 2003 marin rocky ridge my old dero xt reah mech has had it and i need to get a new long cage mech but i am a little confused as to which one (xt slx},there seems to be top pull and then ones that go up on no tension but i need one that will go up on tension and work with dero shifters thanks

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You need a top normal mech, it goes up when tensioning the cable. My recommendation is SLX Shadow, a great performer, and is pair on pair with the higer class mechs ;)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You want a conventional (not rapid rise) rear mech. Current SLX is as good as older XT. But any will work.
    Bit of punctuation and a spellcheck would help with trying to decipher what you mean.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok thanks for the quick replies just before i order the mech is it this one,

Shimano M662 SLX Shadow Top Normal Rear Derailleur SGS - Grey 9sp
    on

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano- ... 38260.html

thanks
  • 386ka
    Yep, that's the one :)
  • much appreciated thank you :D
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    When you say 'go up on tention', do you mean up a gear or up to a larger cog. If it's the former, then Rapid Rise is what you need.

I suspect it to be the latter. In which case, all the advice given here is correct.

To add to it; SLX is a bit better than Deore but XT is a massive jump up from both of them.
  • 386ka
    Up to a larger cog is what i meant.

Off topic, what is the massive jump between XT and SLX? Just asking out of curiosity...
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    It's just that the latest Deore stuff is so good that it has nearly caught up with SLX.

XT feels more solid yet, somehow, lighter.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All recently reviewed on BikeRadar - worth a look.