Overshoe recommendations?

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
As this will be my first winter commuting I'm currently shopping for autumn\winter\spring kit.

Need to pick up some overshoes, but not sure what is good and what aint!!

What are you guys using and would you recommend them?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    BBB Ultraflex are the best ones I've used. Only ones I've used that haven't disintegrated after a month of commuting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Another BBB user - BBB hardware with aquashield - basically neoprene with a PU coating. Lasted 2 years of commuting duties so far.
  • Tried a few over the years, they do tend to come apart. I'm usually happy if they last a whole season.

Best heavy duty winter/warm ones for me so far are the Pro Venturas, went through all last winter and still look pretty much good as new.

Last summer set were Endura Luminites, lasted six months. Got myself a set of Pro Endure a few weeks back, only used them a couple of times so far but quite impressed.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Planet x overshoes did me all last winter and are still like new. Pretty cheap as well.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Planet x overshoes did me all last winter and are still like new. Pretty cheap as well.

Wore these a few years ago. Wondering whether to buy them again. These or the BBB.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just ordered some bbb speedflex from PX will see how they hold up, I have some endura mtb ones but they are way too bulky
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My ProRace over shoes kept most of today's rain and spray out, It's their second season and they still do the job. I doubt they'll be tested like that again for a while.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • FoldingJoe
    Might give the BBB ones a go.

Now, how to get my Wiggle order up over £100 to get a tenner off!?!? ;)

Cheers,
    FJ

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I use these:

pro-tarmach20-os-ind.jpg

They fit road shoes closely (I have these for my MTB shoes.

The main benefit they have over other overshoes I've used is the zip at the back. Others have velcro which is a waste of time imo.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Just don't buy Endura road covers...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    notsoblue wrote:
    I use these:

pro-tarmach20-os-ind.jpg

The main benefit they have over other overshoes I've used is the zip at the back. Others have velcro which is a waste of time imo.

+1 for these. I've had a few overshoes and these are the best I've found so far - warm and fairly rain/water resistant, although if it's pissing down the water always gets in. I would recommend sizing up at least one size, if not two, so you can get them on easily without tearing them and so they don't squeeze too tight (this can make cold feet worse by restricting blood flow).

That said, when it's bitterly cold (near or below 0 degC) nothing keeps my feet warm enough. I sometimes resort to thin socks, then those little heated pads, then thick winter socks, then my shoes and these overshoes. That usually does the trick!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I just bought me some Endura Luminte

which fit over my (Shimano) Mtb shoes a treat

some people have said they fall apart, ive only used em twice so far, an so far so good
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    mudcow007 wrote:
    some people have said they fall apart, ive only used em twice so far,

2 or 3 more rides left then. Enjoy :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    dgstewart wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I use these:

pro-tarmach20-os-ind.jpg

+1 for these. I've had a few overshoes and these are the best I've found so far - warm and fairly rain/water resistant, although if it's pissing down the water always gets in. I would recommend sizing up at least one size, if not two, so you can get them on easily without tearing them and so they don't squeeze too tight (this can make cold feet worse by restricting blood flow).

It comes in through the top. The velcro fastener isn't *quite* tight enough to be useful. I guess to make it watertight you'd need to have some kind of waterproof compression bandage to wrap round the overshoe and your calf.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Plus one for Enduras to be avoided!

Also plus one for the BBB Ultraflex to be bought. One advantage they have is the way that the heel is moulded so that it doesn't put strain on the zip at the back,

So far this year, I've been using the less clumpy Planet X ones which, with some re-inforcing under the toe on the side I unclip from, are doing surprisingly well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FoldingJoe
    Plumped for a pair of BBB Hardwear's.

Managed to drag the order up over £100 as well, so got an extra tenner off... bargain!! :)

Cheers for all your advice.
    FJ

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    BBB Overshoes Heavy Duty Overshoes BWS02
    Warm but not waterproof. 9 months old, bit tatty but no big holes

Lusso Neoprene
    Cheap but not breathable. Wore them twice and then sold them

BBB Waterflex Overshoes
    Waterproof, light, breathable. Not the warmest but a favourite. Also aren't super strong.

Endura Neoprene
    Got them for Xmas. Lasted about a year before they fell to bits
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Have got 3 winters out of my PX neoprene overshoes and they are still going strong.

BBB ones are, I think, on offer at PX at the moment.
  • This might sound daft but what are you guys wearing on your legs to go with these? Just cycling tights??
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    high_tower wrote:
    This might sound daft but what are you guys wearing on your legs to go with these? Just cycling tights??

Yup.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    high_tower wrote:
    This might sound daft but what are you guys wearing on your legs to go with these? Just cycling tights??

00790113.detail.a.jpg
  • notsoblue wrote:
    high_tower wrote:

00790113.detail.a.jpg

Stylish and functional!
  • notsoblue wrote:
    high_tower wrote:

00790113.detail.a.jpg

Wait, wait, wait... Your sig says that you ride SRAM, them are only for use with Campagnolo Centaur.

IGMC.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fwiw, I ordered a pair of BBB Hardwears. They look nice, but the 45/46 is too big for a 45 shoe, so should have gone for the size down.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Definitely BBB or any overshoe which has strong YKK zips... Endura use 2nd rate zips which fail very quickly, never again....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I might give my endura ones away to my mate who still mountain bikes as I am never going to use them on the road now I have the bbb ones.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I got caught out by the weather on a ride last month so I popped past my local bike shop and grabbed the cheapest overshoes they had which were Altura airstream at £14.99.
    So far they have been great but the reflective strips and logo fell off before the end of the first ride !!
    I was going to take them back to the shop and ask for another pair but having looked online it seems to be what happens with Altura overshoes so I left it .
    Other than that they seem to keep my feet warm and shoes dry even in monsoon weather !!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I bought some endura mt500 mtb overshoes. Wouldn't recomend them. Not as warm or waterproof as I was hoping and the zip split first time I put them on. Managed to get most of the zip back together and I'm going to use them for this winter but will be buying something else next year. I'll be waering them with my shorts for the winter.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava