Free parking at LLandegla

bbug
bbug Posts: 83
edited October 2011 in Routes
It's true. My parking is free from now 'til march. How come?

Well, it's because last March I bought an annual pass for £50. So now I've been 15 times, at £3.50 a go, that's £52.50. So, until next March, my riding is free. HaHa.

:lol:

Comments

• Do you want a well done from us or a list of places to ride locally :wink:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Haha omg thats so friggin awesome aaahahahahahah whaaaaa lololololololololololol.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    "Every day's a bonus"
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And your not bored of that trail yet?
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722

Ive been over a hundred times and could never get bored of the place. Absolutely love it
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Trail centres, turbo training for mountain bikers.

:roll:
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Been once.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Paul
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83

Well, yes, sort of. But Llandegla is just a twenty minute drive from home. I look on it as a quick training cirquit to prepare for more interesting rides.

For me, the advantages are :-

It's close. I can get there, ride red + blue trails (two and a half hours) and get back home in say four hours.

It's physical enough to give me a good workout. I do a twenty something mile circular route from home, but there are no hills to speak of and while there's nothing very exciting at Llandegla, it's still streets (no puns intended) better than this.

I usually go on my own, so it's nice to know that should the need arise, someone will eventually come around and call the ambulance :wink:

Someone in another section likened it to a Spagbol, and I guess it is, but I dont mind having it once a week.

So, mock me if you like, but it works for me.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    bbug wrote:

someone will eventually come around and call the ambulance :wink:

I'm surprised they haven't been told to hiss off and buy their own.

It seems every time I go there there's an ambulance either arriving, leaving or both.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    Place is a glorified bmx track, the worst of it is their smoothing every little lump and bump off. On the other hand its good for no brainer training run, cant stand the greedy money grabbing attitude of the owners.
  • dodgy
    mkf wrote:
    cant stand the greedy money grabbing attitude of the owners.

I'm not particularly a fan of trail centres, I think they're turning a generation of potential mountain bikers into braindead circuit riders who wouldn't know how to use an OS map if their life depended on it.

But, what do you mean by the comment above?
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    mkf wrote:
    ...cant stand the greedy money grabbing attitude of the owners.

I'm confused by this, £3.50 for parking is all it costs to use the place all day which seems pretty reasonable to me for a privately run business. If you use the cafe it's going cost you more but the burger and chips from there is pretty damn awesome for £7ish.

I'm not having a go but what is it that you feel is money grabbing?

EDIT: Seems I'm not the only one who's confused ;)
  • dan shard
    I really cant understand why people are so negative about it. It isnt the most technical place to ride in the world but theres very little that it hasnt got and it is probably one of the fastest places Ive ever been to.

Ive ridden all over the uk at trail centres, had a dabble at DH and loads of natural stuff in the lakes etc. I still love to go back to Degla week after week and love it every time...maybe Im in a minority

As for Money grabbing? Sorry just dont get that at all. The Cafe is very well priced in my opinion, and the shop isnt any different to anywhere else. £3.50 parking is all you need to pay

Each to their own I suppose
  • dodgy
    There are plenty of tightwads about, I've seen cars parking at the nearby Moors Inn, or at the start of the lane where it meets the main roads. Unloading multi-thousand pound bikes from their new german cars, all to avoid paying £3.50 :lol:
  • mkf
    i'm not against the £3.50 parking charge for all day use, what my gripe is, is that they have taken the half day option away to make everyone pay the full price. their cafe is fine, charge what you like make money after all its a private business and trails need maintaining but they dont provide any facilities for families who want to eat their own food, pinic etc.
    so like i said its not the price its their attitude
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    dodgy wrote:

You are awesome. Can I rub up against you?
  • dodgy
    Darren555 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

You are awesome. Can I rub up against you?

You may.
  • Neal_
    mkf wrote:
    i'm not against the £3.50 parking charge for all day use, what my gripe is, is that they have taken the half day option away to make everyone pay the full price. their cafe is fine, charge what you like make money after all its a private business and trails need maintaining but they dont provide any facilities for families who want to eat their own food, pinic etc.
    so like i said its not the price its their attitude

That makes more sense now, I can't remember the prices when you could pay for half a day but I think it was only a quid cheaper than it is now and it was pretty much impossible for them to monitor anyway so I'm sure most people asked for a half day regardless of how long they planned on staying.

As far as facilities for families eating their own food I'd just use the picnic benches in front of the building, I wasn't aware they were only to be used for people eating food bought from the cafe but even so the staff would have to be pretty heartless to tell a family with kids to sod off but if they did then just go and buy one drink between you all ;) As it turns out the last time I went with the family and we had a picnic all the tables were taken so we found a patch of grass to sit on although it was fairly close to the car park which isn't ideal with little ones.
  • dan shard
    The thing that I hate more than anything is that every time I go to the toilet there, there's an unflushed turd floating around one, another blocked and full to the brim of unmentionable things and piddle all over the seat of the third
  • Neal_
    dan shard wrote:
    The thing that I hate more than anything is that every time I go to the toilet there, there's an unflushed turd floating around one, another blocked and full to the brim of unmentionable things and piddle all over the seat of the third
    Soz
  • mkf
    @neal
    your not allowed to eat at the tables outside either, just go and try with your family and you will understand exactly what i mean by 'their greedy money making attitude '.
    you will be told by the heartless staff that the cafe will be fined by the owners and the cost will have to be met by the users.

dont even get me started on the toilets or rather the thinking behind how they should work

edit: tried your idea neal, in fact we bought several teas and coffees and we were still told to sod off with our own food.
  • Neal_
    I'll bear that in mind next to I go with our own food, in fairness I don't know of any cafe with outdoor tables that would let you eat your own food at them and if they did allow that when it was busy they'd be losing business from paying customers. I don't understand why the the cafe would be fined by the owners as it would the cafe losing revenue rather than the landlord but I guess people say odd things when they've been put in the awkward position of telling people to vacate the table.

I've never had a problem with the toilets there but I almost always get there early before they've seen much traffic, what's the problem with them apart from other customers leaving them in a state?
  • mkf
    fair comment on both issues

like i said dont begrudge them making money but the way they go about it gets my goat.
    toilets are useless because the flush is a trickle so not forcefull enough to rid of poo.
    their thinking is it uses less water but you have to flush four times which defeats the objective.add in dirty filthy people and you have an escalating health issue right through the day
  • dodgy
    So let's get this straight, if I go to Llandegla trail centre and ride all day in the forest, then eat my own sandwiches on the tables outside I get told off or told to leave?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!11111ONEONEONE
  • dan shard
    Neal_ wrote:
    I've never had a problem with the toilets there but I almost always get there early before they've seen much traffic, what's the problem with them apart from other customers leaving them in a state?

Thats exactly it, I love the place and dont see anything wrong with the staff of facilities hence my previous post. The only thing I dont like about it is the state that the toilets are left in which is dreadfull
  • Neal_
    dan shard wrote:
    Thats exactly it, I love the place and dont see anything wrong with the staff of facilities hence my previous post. The only thing I dont like about it is the state that the toilets are left in which is dreadfull

The toilets not getting cleaned throughout the day is pretty poor really for a business that runs family rides, not that it's ok for a bunch of blokes to put up festival standard bogs but it is a whole lot worse trying to keep a small childs hands away from nasty stuff.

My advice to anyone who is unhappy with the service you receive from a business is to email them, the addresses for Llandegla are below.

info@coedllandegla.com & info@oneplanetadventure.co.uk

Changing the suject slightly has anyone done the Jumps and Drops with Neil Donoghue skills course at Llandeglla and is it good?
  • dodgy
    I've always viewed the trails facility at Llandegla as essentially free, they don't charge an entrance fee, the trails don't have an access control system on them. The parking is £3.50, but there are people who use the car park who don't ride the trails. You can ride straight to the trail centre and ride without paying a penny.

So I'm struggling to understand what people have to complain about? It's a free facility.

Who would you complain to if you went to the Lakes, Peaks, Forest of Bowland and the toilets weren't to your satisfaction or if you thought the car parking was too expensive?

You'd have a right to complain if you went to the cafe and had a meal, any restaurant offering seated dining has to provide toilets (as far as my understanding goes!), and the toilets should be clean - I get that. But you don't have to use the toilet facilities if you're riding, there are lots of riding areas with no facilities at all.

So is this a thread complaining about the cafe facility?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    mkf wrote:
    @neal
    your not allowed to eat at the tables outside either, just go and try with your family and you will understand exactly what i mean by 'their greedy money making attitude '.
    you will be told by the heartless staff that the cafe will be fined by the owners and the cost will have to be met by the users.

So just to be clear, you think it's unfair that the cafe doesn't provide facilities for people who aren't using it? And that it's 'heartless' of them not to do so?
    Can I ask what you do for a living, and where your income comes from? I hope it's not through charging people for a product or service.
  • Neal_
    dodgy wrote:
    So is this a thread complaining about the cafe facility?

Nah, it's about free parking at Llandegla ;)

Essentially it is free and if you do a night ride there you have to park on the access road so you definitely can't pay. As far as the toilets go, if they are in a mess then you are "doing a good deed" by bringing it to the attention of the owner/operator to give them feedback so they can improve the facilities for everyone, whether you have a right to complain based on if you've paid or not is a different matter which I'm not massively concerned with. If the toilets were bad enough to warrant a complaint elsewhere then you would direct that to whoever owned them be it council, National Trust, Forestry Commission or private.

It's a fair point that many riding areas don't have any facilities at all...unless you count any tree or suitably large rock :lol:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    dodgy wrote:
    I've seen cars parking at the nearby Moors Inn

and if you pop in for a pint and/or a bite to eat after your ride theres nothing wrong with this (i've asked) 8) , same for the plough the other way.

the ammount of traffic the place pulls in is nuts and if some of the cash trickles down into local pockets then i'm behind them 100%. I wouldent want to ride there exclusively (which i think alot of folk from cheshire/manc/merseyside do, but so what, keeps the other trails nice and quiet)