Rock steps.

2»

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    stumpyjon wrote:
    The rocky section at the end of Homebaked does freak quite a lot of people out, took me a few false starts to get down it and even now I know it's coming (and I built the step at the top). It is actually confidence, it takes a little controlled speed and it's fine, go over the step at the top too slowly and it puts you off balence for the rest. Ironically my best descent down there was on my hardtail, I was debating all the way down Homebaked about whether I was going to ride it or not, right up to the point my front wheel was over the step. It's actually pretty grippy most of the time apart from when the numpties insist on riding down the side and dragging mud back onto the rocks. The only time I've come off down there was when it was icey, then it's time to give it a miss.

Oh well not so bad then if its just me who found them a bit Intimidating. I did find it alot easier carrying some speed into them and feathering the back brake slightly.

It really must have just been a confidence thing after a lack of ride time. Thee only thing I won't attempt on my Vulcan is stupidly high drop offs.

Would Like a dropper seatpost. Would one fit on a Carrera?

If you go fast enough you can manual down the first part :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Would Like a dropper seatpost. Would one fit on a Carrera?
    Yep!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Is it just a case of picking the a size. Like for example my standard seatpost is 31.6 so obviously go for that size?

Which is the best but most affordable dropper post then?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, again.

I don't know. Reverb is good but pricey.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • You don't need to be over the back of your bike too much, or you could flip out if you hit a lip at the bottom of the drop, this is a common mistake and a bad habbit that I had also developed for a while.

You need to make sure your weight is over the bottom bracket at all times with your favoured foot forward.

Set your speed up in advance so you don't need to brake on the way down. Momentum is king - wheels are gyroscopes, they help the bike stay upright when they are rotating, this effect is cancelled when you brake.

Try to remeber that if you think you will fall, then you will fall. Stay positive and try not look at your front wheel too much, your eyes know where it is going without having to look at it.

There is a lot of hype around bikes, I rode a £180 saracen round the trail centres for years and there wasn't much I couldn't ride on it.

Best of luck......
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Which is the best but most affordable dropper post then?

I have had a joplin 3 in the past, cheaper now and good although some say the shims didn't last long.

I have a Reverb and its a brilliant bit of kit, I got mine on CRC for £160, bargain.

Giant have one out thats also good retails at £160 not sure on the sizes though.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Which is the best but most affordable dropper post then?

That is the question. They're all fairly good nowadays, I've had a Joplin 3 for almost 2½ years without any issues at all
    Irrespective of brand if do you buy one, get one with a bar activated remote. This makes the world of difference
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Northwind wrote:
    Is it possible you're confusing the sealed damper unit for an air spring?

Not really sure how you'd elastomer damp a fork tbh. Elastomer spring, sure.

Incidentally- the more recent XCMs aren't coil-and-oil either, they're also coil-and-sealed-damper.
    Well. I hate to dig up an old topic, but i have just opened these forks up after many months of them sitting unused, and as i knew all along, they are friction damped via elastomer. :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I bet you 10p they aren't.
    Uncompromising extremist