More Scum on the streets of Manchester.

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1462058_saved-by-a-street-sign-shock-video-shows-motorist-deliberately-aim-to-mow-down-pedestrians-on-manchester-street

I cycle the streets of Manchester 24hrs a day and while the is an extreme example, the mentality of many I encounter is similar, vehicles running red lights, speeding at twice the limit , objects being thrown from vehicles, vehicles doing hand brake turns in front of you to intimidate ......... the list goes on.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    AndyManc wrote:
    I cycle the streets of Manchester 24hrs a day .
    Do you think it's time for a rest?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    bails87 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

No, you should get out more.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    AndyManc wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

No, you should get out more.

I'm just amazed that you can sleep on the bike!

In all seriousness though, that video is mental/appalling. If it ends up with someone getting a dangerous driving conviction it'll be stupid. The driver was trying to hit peds and in all likelihood would have killed them if he'd made contact.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Very clearly attempted murder. No other view is possible.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

If you need to borrow some, we've got loads.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    move south, lovey.

we have Waitrose...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This is all a bit unrepresentative though isn't it?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    AndyManc wrote:
    http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1462058_saved-by-a-street-sign-shock-video-shows-motorist-deliberately-aim-to-mow-down-pedestrians-on-manchester-street

I cycle the streets of Manchester 24hrs a day and while the is an extreme example, the mentality of many I encounter is similar, vehicles running red lights, speeding at twice the limit , objects being thrown from vehicles, vehicles doing hand brake turns in front of you to intimidate ......... the list goes on.

There is very little of this sort of thing in London. In fact I've seen far more fighting in the Home Counties than I've ever seen in London.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

There is very little of this sort of thing in London..

Addison Lee driver convicted:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... aughter.do

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... -jaguar.do

http://crapwalthamforest.blogspot.com/2 ... -down.html

There was a horrible nightclub incident, was it Ministry Of Sound? I think someone died.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AndyManc wrote:

So why do you love Manchester then? It sounds a right shithole! Have to admit, I don't like it but you make is sound dire!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    it is as they say grim up north but dont worry too much at least your not in liverpool :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Rolf F wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

So why do you love Manchester then? It sounds a right shithole! Have to admit, I don't like it but you make is sound dire!

he does doesn't he.

I think the place is great and have chosen to live here for the last 20 years. I ride it 24/7 and as much in the lumpy bits where there isn't an expectation and culture of bikes as the city & its close suburbs. I get the odd dickhead & cretin comment like we all do, but I really do not recognise the hate filled gotham city dystopia that AM paints it as.

cycling makes me happy, that's why I do it. if it was half as bad as Andy makes out, I'd have sacked it years ago.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    move south, lovey.

we have Waitrose...

That. :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Nik Cube wrote:
    it is as they say grim up north but dont worry too much at least your not in liverpool :wink:

I went to Uni with a guy from Wiltshire, when asked "what's good about Wiltshire then" he replied (in a funny accent) "we've got our own library now"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    move south, lovey.

we have Waitrose...

Booths > Waitrose
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Rolf F wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

he does doesn't he.

I think the place is great and have chosen to live here for the last 20 years. I ride it 24/7 and as much in the lumpy bits where there isn't an expectation and culture of bikes as the city & its close suburbs. I get the odd dickhead & cretin comment like we all do, but I really do not recognise the hate filled gotham city dystopia that AM paints it as.

cycling makes me happy, that's why I do it. if it was half as bad as Andy makes out, I'd have sacked it years ago.

I think unfortunately there are "scum bags" everywhere, most of the time they remain unseen (possibly living under bridges and under rocks like trolls). Ive had the odd ruckus with people, generally its young lads showing off in front of other young lads either chucking something at you as pass or shouting something

keep head down an ignoring it has been the best policy for me so far
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    move south, lovey.

we have Waitrose...

Booths > Waitrose

They're both filthy commie propaganda though. Paying their staff a decent salary and allowing them to share in the dividend. In these lean times there's no place for depravity like this.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Nik Cube wrote:

I went to Uni with a guy from Wiltshire, when asked "what's good about Wiltshire then" he replied (in a funny accent) "we've got our own library now"

We did have but the council closed it - we still have the book though
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Nik Cube wrote:

We did have but the council closed it - we still have the book though

Really? I thought we'd burned it! Books is witchcraft I'm telling you!
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    move south, lovey.

we have Waitrose...

So do we. (well Altrincham has)