Dilema

squibnocket
squibnocket Posts: 207
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Iv'e been looking for a carbon framed road bike or a framset to bulid up with an Ultegra groupset I have, went to look at a Addict R1 frameset at the weekend, the seller is wanting approx £1000 for it. Been strugling to justify spending such a large amount on a frame although my wife says go for it, would a almost 50 year old get the benefit from a super bike or should I spend the same amount (or slightly less) on a second hand complete bike ie a boardman type bike decisions, decisions. :?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,610
    If it fits, go for it! IF if fits
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    £1000 for a second hand frame ?

You could get a full carbon bike for 999 = http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBP ... -road-bike

Or if you have the groupset - a brand new frame for less than a grand http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-frames

And yes - you need to make sure the frame is the right fit. An ill fitting bargain is no bargain.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Yeah but all carbon is not the same. Like saying a "Steel" bike gives a nice springy ride ... is that Reynolds 853, or welded together scaffold tubes?

I'd sooner have a Scott Addict than a Planet X, if the money was there.

Yes you'll get the benefit of it, and you'll enjoy it, although it won't turn you into a tour de france winner overnight, and the more you use it the more you'll benefit ;-). I'm only a handful of years behind you, and I never regret having got a really good bike.

Oh and if you do as your wife says, you'll only encourage her to say the same in future ...
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Go for it. You may not have many good cycling years ahead of you. It would be a shame to grind to a halt never having owned a top bike.
    There aren't many activities where you can buy the best without being a millionaire - motor bikes, cars, boats, etc.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    go for it!!! If its good you cant go wrong (unless it doesnt fit!!!)

Have a look around at other frames too and make sure (if its your 'best/dream' bike) you get what u want!!

:D:D
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    There's also some very good new frames out there for around £1k - eg Canyon!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Yep, good point!!! - Loads of threads on here about quality of these bikes.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/

A race licence will also get you further discount!!

Let us know what u go for!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • Thanks for all the replies, I came home tonight and said to my wife I wasnt going to bother with it, I just felt it was too indulgent and like one comment im not going to win the tour.. :lol: I think i'm going to have to think long and hard before I decide.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Bloody hell that wasn't the point of that comment!
    FFS, you'll enjoy it, if you've got the money, do it, 'cos sure as anything you can't take it with you!
  • :lol:

I think i could do well in the Giro tho !! point taken I'll take the bike for a spin as it's stil built up that may wellmake up my mind...at least my wife willbe pleased I've done as I was toldfor a change.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    PM Sent re: Scott R1 bike/frameset