took the old moutnian bike out for a spin..

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
So with the weather turning i thought it'd be a good time to check my old winter bike (i mean snow mobile really!!) is still ticking over ok.

Its a mountain bike with disc brakes and i usually ride a skinny tired road bike.

Got to the first corner after a bit of a straight pulled the brakes and nearly shot over the handle bars!! you dont realise how much stronger disc brakes are! well i didnt!!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I think every one of my friends who ride road/cx bikes who have had a go on my disk brake bike have started off with an endo.

However much I warn them that they'll find the brakes more stoppy than they are used to, they still grab a huge handful of lever.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I went for a little pootle on my CX bike, then did a 'gear index check' ride on the roadie, just round the block. As I came onto the drive, heading straight for the garage door, I tried to grab the cross top levers that I'd got used on the CX.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm forever doing something similar, riding around on the fixie then riding the CX (no cross top levers) with my hands either side of the stem and then having to lunge for the hoods or drops to brake. Went for a ride with the MiniAH on Sunday and nearly took her out because she braked suddenly in front of me :shock:

I am either going to have to fit cross top levers or position something on the bars to stop me from using that hand position - it just becomes second nature to use your legs to brake at slower speeds and finding a freewheel is bloody scary frankly.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Weirdly, different bikes don't bother me. Even the fact that the MTB is right front brake and all my other bikes are left front.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I only made my mistake once :wink:

I can swap between road and MTB absolutely fine. They're so different you couldn't get confused, the road and CX are pretty similar feeling though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Rolf F wrote:
    Weirdly, different bikes don't bother me. Even the fact that the MTB is right front brake and all my other bikes are left front.........

Don't know how you manage that!

I used a french hire bike in the mountains, (with silly backwards levers!)
    before I even mounted the bike I switched them,
    else I knew I'd go arse-over-tit by grabbing the wrong lever!