Long live the LBS - Sherwood Pines

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited October 2011 in MTB general
After weeks of researching and sitting on bikes I eventually decided on my cube Stereo.
There were many options to purchasing my new bike but I decided to ask my LBS (Sherwood Pines) if they could do anything with the price should I come with cash (switch). They instantly dropped the price considerably to match elsewhere but could not throw in the mud guard for free.
After a very quick thought I agreed after all it was only another £40 after spending over £2k.

Back story over.

How this has paid off over the past 6 months.

You really cannot price the value of having a LBS who will assist at the drop of a hat and sometimes (most of the time) without charge.
Recently I have has several issues with the bike that I could not work out (first ever proper bike), Dale the mechanic is excellent and has solved all issues instantly. Whether it is a small charge to fit a replacement mech hanger or the loan of a free tool or a free repair whilst mid ride, these guys are fantastic.

I do hope that the creation of on line shops and on line sale (Canyon etc) do not kill the all important LBS.
Well done Sherwood Pines – Specifically – Paul (Tomo), Dan, Dale and Alex.
Much appreciated.

Comments

• Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    It's nice to see some people still have an appreciation for reciprocal business, especially in the biking world.

My younger brother recently had a similar, if not better experience when buying his bike (although admitedly dealing with less cash).

We went to our most local Bike shop, who stock mainly cannondales, afew claud butlers and not alot else in the mid-range MTB stakes. He had £450 to spend, the bike he had his eye on was a £500 trail SL 5, at the time, we couldnt find anywhere selling it under the RRP either.

We explained this to the guy in the shop, who said the next best bet was a £450 hardrock pro in a shop down the road(not affiliated), but, if we were willing to wait a week so as not to diminish his stock below the retail price, then he would get in the 'Dale for £450 and throw in a free service 6 weeks down the line., naturally, we bit his hand off.

Since then we've paid for several minor upgrades to the parent's hybrid type things before a holiday, as well as a full service including new chain and cassete for my brother, i've bought tools, riding gear and a helmet. We've probably spent a good £4-500 in there since they gave us the £50 mark down. We have a great relationship with the shop now, they'll match online prices where reasonable and if asked, and they've lent me tools for one off jobs, ie a park tools HT2 bb tool to tighten my front centrelock.

If only more places were keen to do the same, the number of people I've seen who wont knock off £20 on their price to make £20 profit for themselves, resulting in your business going elsewhere, often to their closest rival, and often on a permanent basis.

Long live the (sensible) LBS!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    +1 for the Sherwood Pines shop. Excellent guys in there.

Check out the Sherwood Pines riding club as well if you want to get out with other bikers - they've some beginners rides and more advanced rides. Ran very professionally by Tyrone and Gee (possibly amongst others but those are the ones I've met).
  • ljs1977 wrote:
    They instantly dropped the price considerably to match elsewhere but could not throw in the mud guard for free.
    After a very quick thought I agreed after all it was only another £40 after spending over £2k.

£40 for a mudguard? :shock: :shock:

Back on Topic. Yes, cash is king and this is where the independent LBS offers the flexibility that some MTB chains/franchises can not
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    you bought a cube stereo for riding pines? :shock:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 wrote:
    They instantly dropped the price considerably to match elsewhere but could not throw in the mud guard for free.

£40 for a mudguard? :shock: :shock:

Back on Topic. Yes, cash is king and this is where the independent LBS offers the flexibility that some MTB chains/franchises can not

Yes!
    ilovedirt wrote:
    you bought a cube stereo for riding pines? :shock:

Yes! and other places

Is this OK? or does forum rules state that thou shall not ride an easy red on a full suspension trail bike?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    No you're safe, but there are individuals on here who are pretty insistent you follow the path they tred.

Not that it's particularly important (...... yeah it is!), but the Cube Stereo is a pretty sexy bike!
  • ljs1977

but the Cube Stereo is a pretty sexy bike!

I thought so!