Credits/Rewards for Cycline & Walking...

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
....This morning there was fleeting mention on the local London BBC news that a new scheme was being piloted that would reward people who cycle and walk rather than drive around London. The newsreader said something M&S vouchers... She said something about downloading an app onto Android or Apple phones to log mileage... Anyone know anything about this? I'm up for a free M&S voucher for my cycle mileage!
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mrs mentioned it to me, but I didn't see the article itself.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Does this mean that homeless people and the poor will at least be able to get themselves some nice pants?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • asprilla
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • So I'll have to get a smartphone to participate, will I? That's not very green.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    All you get is discount vouchers forcing you to shop at the schemes sponsors to take advantages (£5 when you spend £100 anyone?). I would be more in favour if TFL for example gave me Oyster card credit when I cycled so travel at other times was cheaper for me. Perhaps M&S would like to pay for that in return for the free advertising?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Headhuunter
    So I'll have to get a smartphone to participate, will I? That's not very green.

I hope it works with Garmins... My current Smartphone is Nokia/Symbian which is defunct and I don't want to have to invest and have to fiddle around with another bracket that would attach my smartphone to my bars (and risk it falling off into the road) when I already have a perfectly good bracket thing for the Garmin....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Headhuunter
    Don't you have pockets?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    I don't have a pocket I'd put a smartphone in whilst riding; the phone would get wet with either sweat or rain.

I have a Garmin that's waterproof for logging my miles, don't want the duplication.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:
    I don't have a pocket I'd put a smartphone in whilst riding; the phone would get wet with either sweat or rain.

I have a Garmin that's waterproof for logging my miles, don't want the duplication.

Yep me too... My mob tends to be wrapped in a placcy bag in my rucksack for protection from the elements. The Garmin can cope with rain... Anyway I thought the phone needed to be exposed to be able to track GPS?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Asprilla wrote:

Yep me too... My mob tends to be wrapped in a placcy bag in my rucksack for protection from the elements. The Garmin can cope with rain... Anyway I thought the phone needed to be exposed to be able to track GPS?

No, my phone lives in either a waterproof roll top back in my Camelback (MTBing) or in my Alpkit Gourdon and tracks all my rides perfectly.

HH: Fair point about getting wet though, if you don't have a bag or anything.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I use a small self sealing bag for my phone if it's raining. Fortunately we have thousands of them in the warehouse so I never run out.