Re Occupy the Stock Exchange

123457»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Why is it shameful that St Pauls has had to close?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    jds_1981 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    They often do. This is a relatively new thing and leads to anti-avoidance provisions that shut things down. Doesn't negate the moral argument. It costs HMRC time and money to go around closing loopholes only because people insist on exploiting them

I don't believe it is that recent - at least four years?

HMRC now require you to declare the avoidance scheme you are using before they will accept it. They then decide if it legal (which can appeal if they say no) and then if they want to shut it down which they often do.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/aiu/index.htm

&

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/aiu/summary-disclosure-rules.htm
    The disclosure regime was introduced with effect from 1 August 2004 and was limited in scope to tax arrangements concerning employment or certain financial products. This was widened with effect from 1 August 2006 to the whole of Income Tax, Corporation Tax and Capital Gains Tax.

A tax arrangement must be disclosed when:

it will, or might be expected to, enable any person to obtain a tax advantage
    that tax advantage is, or might be expected to be, the main benefit or one of the main benefits of the arrangement
    it is a tax arrangement that falls within any description ('hallmarks') prescribed in the relevant regulations
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    W1 wrote:
    But we are able to use our common sense.

By "common sense" I assume you mean our prejudices? You might be right, but your methods are horribly unscientific.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • AidanR wrote:
    It costs HMRC time and money to go around closing loopholes only because people insist on exploiting them

And this is where we differ. Because I see it thus:
    AidanR wrote:
    It costs HMRC time and money to go around closing loopholes only because HMRC didn't think carefully enough about the legislation HMRC drafted
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • AidanR wrote:
    W1 wrote:

By "common sense" I assume you mean our prejudices? You might be right, but your methods are horribly unscientific.

And being guided by the "spirit" of the legislation isn't?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    Why is it shameful that St Pauls has had to close?

Because why should they lose out because this lot are camping outside? Why shouldn't people be able to visit an important (and, for some, highly religious) icon? It is completely direspectful and therefore shameful.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    AidanR wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Common sense doesn't require "scientific" analysis. It's so obvious as to go without saying!

You agree that the "rule" there is that people aren't taking holiday to camp out. So how are they managing to hold down jobs?
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    No no, common sense simply requires us to think that we're right. Much easier.

As for tax avoidance, as I've said before no, HMRC aren't perfect and should do a better job with legislation. But even if they did do a better job, there will be loopholes and errors because they are not perfect and cannot foresee every eventuality.

If you lived your life obeying solely the letter of all laws you'd be a right c*nt. I don't see why tax should be any different just because you don't like coughing up.

As for St. Paul's, it's a shame they've had to close it and to be honest I'm rather surprised that an agreement wasn't reached as the protesters seemed to respond well to that kind of thing when I was there.

Anyway, enough arguing on the internet for me today. Peace out, as they say.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • AidanR wrote:
    Peace out

Screw you, you beatnik hippy freeloading commie.

:mrgreen:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Why are they parked outside St Paul's? They're affecting other people's businesses, not the banks'? Are they anti-hard work?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    cjcp wrote:
    Why are they parked outside St Paul's? They're affecting other people's businesses, not the banks'? Are they anti-hard work?

They wanted to go to paternoster square, but since that's private property they were evicted - St Pauls is right next door.

St Pauls people were OK with it at first - though i think they're beginning to regret that decision.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

They wanted to go to paternoster square, but since that's private property they were evicted - St Pauls is right next door.

Ah, I see.
    St Pauls people were OK with it at first - though i think they're beginning to regret that decision.

Bizarre decision.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:

Bizarre decision.

It was something about sharing interests - anti-greed, helping the poor etc - church was pleased that the focus of the protest was that.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    It was something about sharing interests - anti-greed, helping the poor etc - church was pleased that the focus of the protest was that.

Right up to the point that the cash registers stop turning over and reality imposes itself.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rick_chasey
    Greg T wrote:

Right up to the point that the cash registers stop turning over and reality imposes itself.

Ironic eh?

I've often thought Church chat on greed was a little much, given how opulent things like Cathedrals are.
  • Greg T wrote:

Ironic eh?

I've often thought Church chat on greed was a little much, given how opulent things like Cathedrals are.

There are more than a few humongous very expensive gold things in popeland...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Greg66 wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    It costs HMRC time and money to go around closing loopholes only because people insist on exploiting them

And this is where we differ. Because I see it thus:
    AidanR wrote:
    It costs HMRC time and money to go around closing loopholes only because HMRC didn't think carefully enough about the legislation HMRC drafted

The government is basically saying the following: if you're moving money around for no other reason than to avoid tax, then you're either breaking the law, or you will be - once we've tightened the law up. It's absurd to believe that tax law can be written without loopholes.
  • rick_chasey
    Greg T wrote:

Ironic eh?

There are more than a few humongous very expensive gold things in popeland...

Yeeeaah..? That was what I was saying?

Protestant, Catholic - they all love the no-greed chat.
  • notsoblue
    Protestant, Catholic - they all love the no-greed chat.

Time to put their money where their mouth is...

Sucks for the couple that got married there last week though.
  • notsoblue
    Dr Giles Frasier resigns from St Pauls over violence in the name of the church
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... hurch.html
  • Greg T
    notsoblue wrote:

Man who believes in fairies forced out of his office by people who don't understand maths.

• notsoblue
    Greg T wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Man who believes in fairies forced out of his office by people who don't understand maths.

Oh oh oh, do this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7615931.stm
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Greg T
    notsoblue wrote:

Lehman Bros files for bankruptcy.

Lend money to people who can't pay you back means you lose your money.

People demand to be loaned more money in this difficult time.

• notsoblue
    Greg T wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

My turn:

Company that doesn't understand maths files for bankruptcy.

Incentivising the sale of loans to people regardless of their ability to pay them back means you lose your money.

Public money used to allow banks to keep capitalist machine moving.

Hows that?
  • Greg T
    notsoblue wrote:
    Hows that?

Not very funny

• notsoblue
    Greg T wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Hows that?

Not very funny

:(
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

My turn:

Company that doesn't understand maths files for bankruptcy.

Incentivising the sale of loans to people regardless of their ability to pay them back means you lose your money.

Public money used to allow banks to keep capitalist machine moving.

Hows that?

D*ick swinging bankers metaphorically jizz money into every orifice, including their own - they realise in their promiscuous ways that they've caught financial aids.

Lehman and others die from financial aids. Others are heavily medicated and can barely walk. requiring regular major surgery.

All because some bankers couldn't hold it in.

How about that?
  • Greg T
    D*ick swinging bankers metaphorically jizz money into every orifice, including their own - they realise in their promiscuous ways that they've caught financial aids.

Lehman and others die from financial aids. Others are heavily medicated and can barely walk. requiring regular major surgery.

All because some bankers couldn't hold it in.

How about that?

Well it's got Jizz in it and theoretically therefore IS funny.

So I'm in.

In fairness the material is a bit dry . . .