which tyres

alastair825
alastair825 Posts: 15
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on choosing some new tyres for my mountain bike that I use to commute to work. I am a bit confused about which type to choose. My current tyres are Schwalbe Hard climber 26x2.1 Wired Tyre.

The ones I have been looking at are the Continental Travel Contact City MTB Tyre
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tra ... -tube-set/
and the Schwalbe Land Cruiser MTB Tyre
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-land-cruiser-mtb-tyre/

The Schwalbe Land Cruiser MTB Tyre tyres have two options as below;
Black26 x 1.75 or Black26 x 1.90 / 2.00

Could you please tell me what the difference is between them and which would be best. Also can these tyres be used with Presta valve in tubes?

I’m also thinking of getting some snow tyres just in case the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance Rigid MTB Tyres are 26x1.75.

Many thanks,

Alastair

Comments

• I used to have some Land Cruisers - heavy and quite slow rolling but did the job. Comfortable and grippy too. (I have 25% of my commute on firetrails/farm tracks and they are ideal on that sort of terrain.)
    More importantly, I never got a single puncture on them.
    A good choice for a budget tyre. Mine lasted 18 months or so, around 5000 miles over all sorts of terrain.

As for size - the thinner ones should roll faster, but will be less grippy. The fatter ones will be grippier, more comfortable but slower. All depends on what your commute is on and how long it is. Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It is a small percentage, which you won't really notice unless you are putting in some serious miles on a single ride.

And yes - presta/schraeder - doesn't matter what tubes you have.

One thing you should check though - what size are your current inner tubes?
    I use Specialized tubes which tend to be thinner, so had no trouble with my tyres. However, my old tubes were Kendas - 26 x 2.0 - MTB specific and quite wide .
    (I wouldn't have used them on the thinner Land Cruisers, just in case I got a pinch punture.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Ok I guy, I have decided to get the Continental Travel Contact City MTB Tyre and Tube Set due to i will mostly be on road, one thing though is I currently have Schrader valve on my current rim, can i change to Presta or is there some sort of adaptor that i need if any

Thx so far for the advice
  • The valve type has no bearing on the tyre you choose - use whatever you want.
    I know that Conti give away free tubes with their tyres - and only have Presta valves :x

You will just have to make sure that the pump that you carry can deal with both valve types, just in case. (It may have an adaptor - or you have to swap a bit of plastic around in the pump head.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)