North Wales

8ballchris
8ballchris Posts: 20
edited November 2011 in Routes
Hi all,

I've got a family holiday coming up to Rhyl, north Wales and i've been tasked with finding a trail centre that will serve the dads with some decent red grade excitement but also with green or blue trails for the wives and kids.

In terms of the red trails, we'd be looking for a twrch/whites level sort of deal.

Any ideas would be superb!

Cheers!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    closest one but it's still about an hour away:

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centr ... degla.aspx

hope this helps :D
  • As above, Llandeglas worth the trip, especially for the fact you want a range of technicality

The Reds ideal for what you want,and if your feeling energetic the blacks not too much longer, so very doable in just a couple of hours. and the blue/green are just as good

The blues flowy and as fast as you want to make it, around 12K for the full go, and thoroughly enjoyable for all.

The Green is great for youngsters as its fairly flat and not too long (around 4.5K) it goes around a nice lake and on a nice day is actually quite scenic.

One thing i will say though is if your doing the red/black or blue then the first climb is a bit of a long one. especially for the kiddies.

the cafe's ace, but expensive so bring the change, and i think the car parks £3.50 for the full day.

Hope this helps!

PS. if you need any more info feel free to send a PM, i may be useless but its worth a try!

Rhys
    Work Hard, Play Harder!
  • Another option you have which is not quite as convenient as Coed Llandegla would be to head for the trails around Betws-y-Coed. The Penmachno trail just outside town is one of the best red graded trails in Wales with a much more natural and wild feel than Llandegla. For easier trails there are a couple of forest track rides from Beddgelert and I think there's a reservoir route from Betws.

Check my website for some more details and other rides in the area - http://www.trailguru.co.uk/mountain-bik ... coed-wales

Have a great time.
    Kev
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • From Rhyl try The Marin Trail and or Penmachno.

Llandegla isn't too close
  • If you want a nice easy reservoir ride for the wife and kiddes then this is where I took my missus this year. With the added bonus of RAF hawks buzzing over from RAF Valley.

http://www.hiraethog.org.uk/content.php?nID=5&aID=3&lID=1
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    John Moore wrote:
    From Rhyl try The Marin Trail and or Penmachno.

from rhyl to llanrwst is 40 minutes (without getting stuck behind a tractor or something) add another 20 mins onto that for penmachno. llandegla is about 55 minutes, and there's tons more trail choice and a visitors centre, i know where i'd choose
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    welshkev wrote:
    John Moore wrote:
    From Rhyl try The Marin Trail and or Penmachno.

from rhyl to llanrwst is 40 minutes (without getting stuck behind a tractor or something) add another 20 mins onto that for penmachno. llandegla is about 55 minutes, and there's tons more trail choice and a visitors centre, i know where i'd choose

What he ^^^ said. Rhyl is on the A525. Llandegla is on the A525. Can't get much easier than that!

I certainly wouldn't take the wives and kids on the Marin or Penmachno. Llandegla is designed for exactly what you are after.