Full Suspension Bearings.

tjdixon911
tjdixon911 Posts: 110
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
How often should the bearings in a Full Suspension frame be changed?

I've been running my Cove Hustler for 2years+ now and not changed them, although its used weekends only they do take a bashing (More so from the riders weight!).

Just getting a bit of creaking from the rear, is it the bearings?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is there any play in them? if no then they are fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

There appears to be a little movement in one of the lower ones, but not sure if its just a bit of flex thats always been there
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    are they smooth as well, i think servicing the bearings that are there regularly is important to maintain nice smooth suspension, and prelong the life of the bearings :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Undo the shock and move the rear end. It's not uncommon for the whole swingarm to remain in one place until you move it by hand. If it's smooth and play-free I'd leave it be. If it's graunchy and horrible replace as necessary.

Cartridge bearings tend not to last too well in FS frames, the very limited range of motion is rather condusive to them seizing, 2 years is a good result!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    tjdixon911 wrote:
    How often should the bearings in a Full Suspension frame be changed?
    Cannondale suggest the bearings in my Rize should be checked every 24 hours of riding :shock:

First time I checked them was more like 24 months. The cartridge bearings are glued in place with Loctite 638, and to date (over three years of frequent, intense neglect) the actual bearings have been absolutely fine.

But the surfaces they bear on have suffered from being assembled 100% bone dry not even the slightest smear of grease. The main pivot bolt needed replacing after about a year followed soon after by the smaller suspension bolts (all soft aluminium) and more recently the shock link itself.

But the bearings are OK :)
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I tend to do mine every year. It's amazing how much more supple the rear suspension feels after doing it - almost like running 5-10 psi less pressure. Small bump sensitivity is loads better too. Go to a bearing supplier and get good ones like FAG or similar - expect to pay about 2 quid a bearing. Loads less than if you buy the same bearings but in a branded up FS service kit.
  • i replaced the bearings on my old Demo 9 even though they felt smooth, you do notice the difference, the rear end just seems to move so much more freely. the problem with full sus frames is that the bearings limited movement causes depressions in the races making them harder to move.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Wouldn't really agree with that... The bearings in my Dare had no play, but they were fubbered.
    Uncompromising extremist