If you like riding through woods please sign this petition

thaibog
thaibog Posts: 271
edited October 2011 in Routes

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't want to sound negative, but there are thousands of those epetitions.
    IMHO just a PR exercise by the Govt.
    Anybody know of one that has actually been implemented.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    You may know of the e-petition relating to people on benefits that were convicted of taking part in the riots, it had had a record number of signings.
    It was supposed to have been discussed last week, they didn't.......
    Nicolai CC
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    Good morning. I'm not really asking for a political debate but i saw this and I want to get as many people to sign it as possible.
    I went out this morning and in a wood near where i was bought up someone had dragged massive lumps of wood and placed them over the path at many points.
    They had also put up a laminated no cycling and a laminated " cycling and the law"

I have ridden these woods since I was a child and my family have been part of the community for over 600 years.
    The no cycling on pathways other than beside the road is a civil dispute where the landowner must prove damage was caused.
    Obstructing a pathway with the intent to cause injury could be seen as a criminal act.
    I wish I had caught them this morning.
    They would have got an earbashing.
    Sign it or dont its no problem. Apathy isnt part of my vocabulary though.
  • robbroo
    robbroo Posts: 42
    I think if these petitions get over a certain number of signatories then the government is require to look at it.

and in any case....what's it gonna cost you!....

or what will it cost you if you don't?
    Robbroo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lots of things are looked at in parliament, and ignored. It'll be in a session late in the afternoon where 4 MPs are there (3 of them asleep).

Cost? Tax payers money being wasted on MPs looking into it when it stands no chance.

I've said before, such petitions need to be more than just a "we want access" thing. To win people over they need to convince the walkers they're getting equal access, that we'll all get along nicely and will avoid trouble. Otherwise they'll win. There are some very miserable NIMBYs out there with a lot of power (some are MPs), they are very protective about rights to walk, and they view mountain bikers in a very negative light.

There's also a risk that with shared access to public footpaths, the currently slightly tolerated use of trails that aren't footpaths (dependent on landowner) may be less tolerated with an insistence that we all stick to the designated paths. I prefer off the paths as it spreads us out and few people walk them.

But anyway. The previous thread on this petition - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12803486
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    robbroo wrote:
    I think if these petitions get over a certain number of signatories then the government is require to look at it.

and in any case....what's it gonna cost you!....

or what will it cost you if you don't?

Apparently there needs to be over 100,000 signatories before it's even looked at... But like you say, it costs nowt to sign...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    thaibog wrote:
    I went out this morning and in a wood near where i was bought up someone had dragged massive lumps of wood and placed them over the path at many points.

Unfortunately even if the law was changed and we were given full access i don't think this will change! The people that do this do not care where we are aloud to ride and where we are not! As far as they are concerned the countryside is to be enjoyed in silence at a walking pace.
    I have found this issue on bridle ways as well in the past.
    Ride Crash Ride Again