How often do you ride tubs?

canbakay
canbakay Posts: 282
edited December 2011 in Amateur race
I was wondering how often you ride tubs through the fall to spring time. This can include racing sportives training joy riding whatever. Lets keep commuting out though.

4/10 for me.

John
Dogma
Madone
R3
Point Reyes
Raleigh Burner
Boris

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    every time i ride.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Every time I race, but wouldn't use them for general riding
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    canbakay wrote:
    I was wondering how often you ride tubs through the fall to spring time. This can include racing sportives training joy riding whatever. Lets keep commuting out though.

4/10 for me.

John

What is a racing sportive?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    canbakay wrote:
    How often do you ride tubs?
    Almost every day. And don't call me tubs, it's relaxed muscle :)
  • every race so twice a week normally, they are too expensive to train on
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Never anymore. Used to, back in the day, but too much of pain to sort, and tyres are more than adequate at my level of racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Only on the track.

+1
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Every time I race, but wouldn't use them for general riding
    +1
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Race on tubs, train on clinchers.

Just to be clear sportives are training, tubs are not to be used unless no other wheels are available.
  • dennisn
    I should clarify my post by saying that for the last few years I've been riding Tufo tubular clinchers. It's an actual tubular tire, with a bead on it to fit clinchers rims. Love them, for bunches of reasons. I'm never using clincher tires again. Well, never say never, but......
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    dennisn wrote:
    I should clarify my post by saying that for the last few years I've been riding Tufo tubular clinchers. It's an actual tubular tire, with a bead on it to fit clinchers rims. Love them, for bunches of reasons. I'm never using clincher tires again. Well, never say never, but......

How do you find them Dennis? I got one with a set of secondhand wheels but not got round to using it.
  • dennisn
    markos1963 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

How do you find them Dennis? I got one with a set of secondhand wheels but not got round to using it.

Convenient, very easy off and on(no tools required), good mileage on the less expensive training tires, great ride on the 700-25's(a bit expensive but what the hell), no need for rim strips or all the worries that go with tubes(Tufo's are tubeless), no pinch flats, small holes can be fixed with Tufo sealant, you can run really high pressures if you want to.
    For my money I'll pass on the 100 dollar stems, 250 dollar bars, etc. and buy tires I can enjoy, that give me minimum hassles. I just don't care to deal with tire levers, tube pinching, worrying whether my rims have burrs on them or not, etc., etc. Throw a new tire on and fix the old one if you can with sealant. If not, trash it. Possibly, and I say possibly, a bit more expensive in the long run but then again I'm not buying into 5000 dollar frames or 2000 dollar wheelsets.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Do they stay on OK if you puncture then if you don't need any tools to remove them?
  • dennisn
    Pross wrote:
    Do they stay on OK if you puncture then if you don't need any tools to remove them?

To be honest I always stop when I flat and change the tire. I do know that they tend to stay on the rim a bit longer than standard clinchers. Which seem to roll off the rim the second they flat(at least as I recall and have seen). No tools needed to change them(hands only). Although not a bad idea to stretch NEW ones for a day or two. Takes a little effort, but not much, to mount them and remove a flat. A little installation practice is helpful but once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.
  • Race on tubs, train on clincher. Training on tubs is a bit daft.
  • never rode tubs :)

will be next season though.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

To be honest I always stop when I flat and change the tire. I do know that they tend to stay on the rim a bit longer than standard clinchers. Which seem to roll off the rim the second they flat(at least as I recall and have seen). No tools needed to change them(hands only). Although not a bad idea to stretch NEW ones for a day or two. Takes a little effort, but not much, to mount them and remove a flat. A little installation practice is helpful but once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.

Any experience using the Tufo C-Hi Composite Carbon Tubular Clincher Tyre?... unable to run to a new wheelset sadly...
  • dennisn
    Can't say that I have. Sorry.
  • On a cost/benefit basis training on tubs for a fair bit of the time makes sense to me but that may vary depending on where you ride and how deep you pockets are.

Train a lot less on tubs during the winter due to puncture risk. Still go out on tubs on dry roads in decent weather though.

Pleased the old "train on clinchers, race on tubs" mantra doesn't apply to me.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    With the quality of clinchers these days there is little to no difference between them.
  • With tubs you have:

Lighter rims
    Rounder tyres
    Easier to run latex inners
    Stiffer wheels (generally)

All that makes a difference. Not absolutely massive, but enough to notice and heighten the pleasure.