I Know Where You Live

fish156
fish156 Posts: 496
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
I was looking at another thread and followed a link to a ride on Garmin Connect. The accuracy of the data is so good that there's little doubt where this guy lives.

Is it just me or is this a bit too much information passed into the public domain?

Just think if SpeedKing's Garmin Connect data were available. He'd be innundated by people calling by his house to thank him for bringing such joy into their lives.

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Meh, your average bike thief wont trawl the internet for Garmin outputs.....Mwahahahah :twisted: . Oh sorry, did I say that out loud? *Skulks off to gather info* watch yer backs all :wink:
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I said this to my other half a while back. It is very accurate...and if you've published turbo sessions there is absolutley no question about where you live (I live at the end of a cul-de-sac so my location is completely accurate when you look on Garmin connect). I never publish my Garmin data for security.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Bryton website defaults to publish all data which I think is very wrong. Basically, unless you change the settings (which in this case were at least originally a bit ambiguous) all your trips were publically available. So therefore, if you commute, your normal hours of absence are easily identifiable. Combine that with a few comments in forums about expensive bikes you own and you have to be grateful that 99.999% of thieves are as thick as 5hit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Strava allows you to out a 5 -10 K radius of privacy from where you start even for your public rides
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Ands wrote:
    I said this to my other half a while back. It is very accurate...and if you've published turbo sessions there is absolutley no question about where you live (I live at the end of a cul-de-sac so my location is completely accurate when you look on Garmin connect). I never publish my Garmin data for security.

Why would you leave GPS on for a turbo session? :?

For regular rides all you need to do is stop/start away from your house. Simple really.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    amaferanga wrote:

I never really thought about turning GPS off (not even sure how you do it - it's an 800). If I disable GPS, I'm likely to forget enabling it again next time I go out! Are there any benefits to disabling it then, other than not showing the location?.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I always start my Garmin after a few miles when I've warmed up a bit, not because I was worried about security but because it makes my average speed look better. :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    markos1963 wrote:
    I always start my Garmin after a few miles when I've warmed up a bit, not because I was worried about security but because it makes my average speed look better. :D

But it makes your mileage look worse!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Rolf F wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

But it makes your mileage look worse!

Who cares about mileage if you can increase your ave speed by 0.001 mph :D
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Switched my garmin to private by default. Think its wrong that by default its all public.
  • shock :shock: you can work out where a bike lives,,, in a house, or a garage - in the house there is probably an LCD TV , laptop, credit cards, and the garage, even a car !!

aren't all of those far more knick-able, and disposable to one of the pikey thieves?
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    amaferanga wrote:
    Ands wrote:

For regular rides all you need to do is stop/start away from your house. Simple really.

How else would he tell amount of climbing and descending during his session :shock: , simple really :D