Lets go back in time....

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The past looks shite.

I'm glad those monitor-less computers never took off.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I won the Tommy Cooper golf game at my Dads factory kids Xmas party. I also had ricochet racers and the airfix bridge soldier set. Brought a lump to my throat scanning through that, although some of the stuff is absolutely dire, I especially liked the After Eight mints serving carriage and all the bedroom furniture, looks like Rigsby designed it all. :D
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    The GAZ camping stuff hasn't changed a bit :lol:
    Powered by Haribo.
  • Thats a good post many memories in there.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Reminds me of that Rich Hall quote about TV/online/catalogue shopping?
    " Good things come to those who wait, but shit pretty much shows up right away, doesn't it?"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dmclite wrote:
    I won the Tommy Cooper golf game at my Dads factory kids Xmas party. I also had ricochet racers and the airfix bridge soldier set. Brought a lump to my throat scanning through that, although some of the stuff is absolutely dire, I especially liked the After Eight mints serving carriage and all the bedroom furniture, looks like Rigsby designed it all. :D

Ha ha whatever happened to works kids xmas parties. I remember going to see a panto at my aunties factory, and I got a set of cowboy guns. Happy days.
  • Anonymous
    dmclite wrote:

Ha ha whatever happened to works kids xmas parties. I remember going to see a panto at my aunties factory, and I got a set of cowboy guns. Happy days.

It was great. When you were little you got the party. then a bit older you got to go to a panto on a coach with a selection box each :shock: to get through. then older again you got to go to a disco at the social club with free drinks and hotdogs. Happy days.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dmclite wrote:

I went to my mum's works xmas party at the LSE (she cleaned the tables in one of the canteen's). Ali Bongo was the magician and he gave the kids a present at the end. He thought I was a girl and gave me a dolly. I cried. A lot.

Ali_Bongo.jpg

Bloody Bongo Git.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Anonymous
    Ali Bongo, jesus wept he looks terrifying. :D
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I had the Evil Knievel bike (which was rubbish 'cos he kept falling over), Crossfire, and one of the digital watches (bought with coupons collected with petrol). Man, I was a spoiled little git!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Yeah my mate had the Evel Knievel stunt bike it just didn't work. I had one of those Salter chemistry sets, they had pretty cool stuff in back then. I also remember my first calculator being one of those Commodore ones.

(I was 11 in 1976)
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    Vertibird and crossfire - vertibird rocked
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • Yeah my mate had the Evel Knievel stunt bike it just didn't work. I had one of those Salter chemistry sets, they had pretty cool stuff in back then. I also remember my first calculator being one of those Commodore ones.

(I was 11 in 1976)

That was the problem with all them from action man to EK, on the adverts you seen in properly built model deserts and stuff. It just wasnt the same trying to get Knievel to do a wheely on a carpet, or try and get him to jump your dads feet when he was asleep.

Also on toys, i remember scalextric always used to interfere with our telly, you couldnt watch an dplay at the same time, grrrrr.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    I didn't realise Argos had been around that long! I had it down as a mid 80s creation.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    60 notes for an LCD digital watch??? :shock:

Cheers for the link - some real blasts from the past there; mechanical typewriters, hairdryers that look like props from a Gerry Anderson series, black & white TV sets - I could go on all day....

I actually had the Thomas Salter Chemistry Set No.4 - it's partly responsible for getting me where I am today (at the risk of sounding like Reggie Perrin's boss).

Mmm....lovely none-more-Seventies car seat covers, too. Wouldn't look out of place in Bodie & Doyle's Ford Capri. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Sweet Jesus; my entire childhood in one catalogue! Page 33 gym scene looks like a scene from a Carry On film! Strangely i found myself looking at the inflatable bed for quite some time. Great pillows!
    Anyone have one of those giant tape recorders on page 40? I used to record the top 40 on sundays with mine sat next to the speakers from our teak music centre. Also used to pretend i was a spy and stick it up my jumper to covertly record my family....... :shock:, somehow they always guessed! :oops:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Just had another look and it turns out I had the Space 1999 rocket as well! We also had one of the Hoovers - it weighed about the same as a small family hatchback. My Grandparents had a Ewbanks - they didn't pick up any dirt, just moved it around. I also seem to remember that Evil's bike broke because fibres from our shag pile carpet accumulated around the rear axle....

Anyone for Angel Delight?

Ahh, happy days - I'm 43 years old today! :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sweet Jesus; my entire childhood in one catalogue! Page 33 gym scene looks like a scene from a Carry On film! Strangely i found myself looking at the inflatable bed for quite some time. Great pillows!
    Anyone have one of those giant tape recorders on page 40? I used to record the top 40 on sundays with mine sat next to the speakers from our teak music centre. Also used to pretend i was a spy and stick it up my jumper to covertly record my family....... :shock:, somehow they always guessed! :oops:

Look how short and tight the guy's shorts are on p71 on the exercise bike.... Wonder how easy it is to cycle with a permanent wedgie?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    pottssteve wrote:
    Anyone for Angel Delight?

Can I have a piece of Arctic Roll instead (Birds Eye still make 'em, you know)? ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I remember the Gratten(?) catalogue from the 70's, it even sold real rifles and shotguns in one section! They had a proper 7.62mm SLR but my mother wouldn't let me have it :-(
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    I'd forgotten how easy it used to be to buy an airgun!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Good seeing Buccaneer and Vertibird again,they were great fun.Also seeing the bissell there brought back more memories,how would a 70's mum have got by without them i wonder.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    the guy at the top of page 71 has his priorities all wrong!
    FCN 12