Long Merlin waiting times?

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited October 2011 in MTB general
I'm not usually one to moan on forums about service, but after having poor response from Merlin about some things I ordered I was wondering if was a one off or they are letting their standards down.

Basically I ordered some wheels on the 6th (and a bottle of Fenwicks). On the 12th I sent a polite email asking for an update on the order status, and why the Fenwicks hadn't been posted. They replied they expected the wheels to be finished anytime this week, and they'd post the Fenwicks with the wheels - odd, as this was on standard free delivery! I pay £6.50 for the wheels to be posted, and it relagates my other orders lol.

Anyway he insisted this is the way it is done. No wheels by today, emailed them no reply. Couldn't get through on the phone.

Just me? Never been like this before, had swift service, and great comms.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    Never had a problem with them and they delivered a set of MG-1's pretty sharpish a couple of weeks ago.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Chill out. It will arrive. Merlin is great. I have to spend over £100 to get free shipping. At least you know the wheels will be good and last forever. It probably costs them more to send the wheels than what you pay anyway.
  • supersonic
    Well I hope the wheels last forever, I'll see what they like if they get here ;-)
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I've always had good service with merlin... Took a while for my bike to arrive though when i bought it...
  • surprising, I've had nothing but rapid service from them
  • I think you might just be unlucky. I've always had very fast and good service from them
  • supersonic
    Basically just want to know when they are coming, so I can be in to get them!
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    I normally have a good experience with them.
    On Friday last week i order a chain and cassette, realized the chain was out of stock so sent an email asking to cancel the chain. Then got a phone call on Monday asking if i wanted to cancel the chain as its out of stock which i thought was reasonable of them since they hadn't seen my email i assume. They then took till Friday to dispatch the item but it did arrive today so next day delivery after dispatch.
    All in all a mixed experience from them but mostly good.
    They also didn't remove my 10% discount for spending over £50 on the cassette and chain once i canceled then chain which was good:)
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    They take ages to answer emails last time I emailed them about something it was 3 days for a reply I got bored waiting and spent my £300 at CRC.
  • i have had also a good experience with my orders though all my orders have been with "non human work needed orders" so maybe this the case.

though the first time i rang them up about a year ago or so when looking to buy bikes the phone service was rather poor at the time, probably just got the intern/work exsperience guy :wink:

maybe the wheels you asking them to build are causing issues and they dont wish to distress you :P

hope it comes soon, be interesting to see how they fit the fenwicks bottle into a wheel box though :lol:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • supersonic
    It is a budget set I ordered lol, but I guess 'Frank' is busy ;-). Will be my 3rd set, the last two were very well built. I needed the Fenwicks quick though, my frying pans need a good clean.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    got my nice Elite carbon cage turn up in a few days...top service from merlin.
    Recon its cos the wheels are hand built and they've had an influx ?....well they do build superb wheels after all !
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have always had good service from them. In fact I have pretty much stopped using CRC,

I have only had two issues:

1 shipped a poplock instead of the adjustable one and shipped the correct item within a week
    2 shipped my stand and left the mud guards out, shipped replacements out within a couple of days of me telling them.

No arguments, no issues, not like others who still try to sting you with re-stocking fees if you send stuff back.

I have always found them fast too - more often than not next day.
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    As with everyone else I've had nothing but fast good service. When they did leave out a poplock with a new fork I got hold of them straight away and received the missing item the following day. Personally I find them pretty much the best for service and price (accept for pads and grips where Superstar win on price!).
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    1st time I ordered from them it was great, every time since has been slower than I have come to expect when ordering on line.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Wiggle take some beating for service and delivery, but CRC are very good too
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Merlin has always been next day for me if ordering before 4pm ish, even on a Friday with Saturday delivery. one time I did order at around 4:30pm on a Thursday, items arrived Saturday morning.

Have never emailed, but phone always answered in friendly manor and if they have not been able to answer a question straight away then they have always disappeared out back or onto the shop floor to find out.

Only other retailer that i've used more than once that arrives next day on free delivery is high on bikes, Wiggle\Evans\CRC always 2 days plus, and wiggles estimates on items coming back in stock, well, don't hold your breath.
  • supersonic
    Been 11 days now, no replies to my email. If not forthcoming by tomorrow I'll be getting my money back.
  • Mojo_666
    supersonic wrote:
    Been 11 days now, no replies to my email. If not forthcoming by tomorrow I'll be getting my money back.

Call them? I did about my wheels and they were fine..if slow.
  • Mojo_666
    supersonic wrote:
    If they answer!

Really? maybe all the staff died? :|
  • im sorry to hear sonic :cry:

good news is though while you were posting i was ordering a rear light on Sat 2:30pm and got email on Monday saying it has been sent.....Tues/today it arrived :D

iso with that in mind m sticking to the "if it doesnt require human contact= fast service"
  • I had issues with some forks I got from them (2nd set after I'd driven 100 miles to replace the 1st :evil: ) so sent a friendly email. After a week with no response I sent a not so friendly email that mentioned I'd spread the word far and wide about the terrible service and suprise, suprise I had a response within 24hrs :roll:

Saying that, I ordered a couple of small bits another time and they arrived within a couple of days.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I've always had a mixed experience. I ordered a pair of forks for delivery to work, for some reason the address didn't register right there end and it took me ringing them three days later to inform me they didn't have the correct address. I also recently ordered a front mech after emailing to confirm it came with the correct adaptors, which I got a reply saying it did, it came next day but without adaptors, to which they sent the adaptors, but didn’t turn up for over a week.

But all the other bits I've ordered, to which there has been quite a few, have turned up next day! Luck of the draw I guess.
  • supersonic
    They emailed me today saying they'd contact the builder to see what is going on. I asked for a refund which was prompt, with an apology, so all is well.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    To be fair they are pretty helpful and 9 times out 10 you get next day delivery for nothing, so I certainly won't stop using them.
  • good news then :wink:
  • supersonic
    Neither will I TBH: I suspect though I was placed down the pecking order due to the price I got the wheels at: £50, minus my VIP doscount, minus another 10%. Infact it wouldn't surprise me if they were making a loss and actually wanted to refund me lol. As there was still no date, and no sign of the Fenwicks I thought I'd just get the money back and let it be.

People cock up: it is how they sort it that matters, and they sorted my money out very quickly.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i ordered a few parts the other day tuesday eve they came today thurs...

merlin is only up the road though :P