Why don't families cycle more together?

familyonabike
familyonabike Posts: 9
edited November 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
As an active cycling family in the UK we think nothing of getting on our bikes together, it's second nature. But apparently that's not normal!

So why don't more families cycle together? And how come they do in some parts of the world? We've been chewing this over informally having spent time trying to encourage non-cycling families to get on their bikes.

We garnered our thoughts in a blog we wrote back in 2009 but are now wondering, has anything changed?? Or has the world got worse!

http://www.familyadventureproject.org/2009/04/from-bicycle-to-why-cycle.html

Would love to hear your thoughts and views on both the barriers to participation and what kind of events, support, rewards work to get families biking together?

Stuart
http://www.familyonabike.org
Bored of routine? Embrace adventure. Everyday. http://familyadventureproject.org

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Good links/reads.

A big one, I think. Are bicycles the primary means of transport. For one, or both parents? The more riding a bike is considered 'a normal, everyday' occurrence, the more children will see this, and the more it will be a 'normal, everyday' part of what the family does. We have a car. But we use it sparingly, and for journeys where it's the most obvious choice to take (distance/load/whatever).

We've been accused of brainwashing our kids. The accuser failed to realise he'd done the same to his kids - but with a car. Thing1 once asked me, "Why do [they] drive their car up the shops? It only takes 5 minutes to walk. That's SILLY!" And indeed, it is under a km, and yes, we normally walk it (but sometimes ride, as well) ;)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • baudman
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • baudman wrote:

Thanks, useful link. I find it interesting how important perception is here, both in this article and in another conversation on the CTC forum about the same issue
    http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56579
    ... how risky people think it is, how expensive people think it is, how hard people think it is. Tackling perceptions (attitudes) must be as important a part of changing behaviours as all the other skills, infrastructure etc issues.[/url]
    Bored of routine? Embrace adventure. Everyday. http://familyadventureproject.org
  • baudman
    Perception. ;)
    2008-09-30.gif
    http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-09-30

I try to lead by example on that front. I commute in my work gear. Daughter (5yo) rides with me to school. I rock up to ppl's places/pub/wherever looking normal, fresh. Not sweaty. They love the look of my bike (freq told). It doesn't look like a speed machine (but, it can be) ;)

And, thankfully, I've had a few ppl following my lead. And hopefully, others will follow theirs.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    This country isn`t cycle orientated at all. Bad facilities to secure your bike and a genuine attitude that you`re stupid to be pedalling anywhere.

I was glad to see in Germany a family from grandparents to toddlers enjoying a cycle ride along a wide safe path next to one of the large rivers, it`s a pity the British don`t do it cos there`s a lot who need to get off their bums and do a bit more!!
  • I agree with all the comments about cycling culture etc.

There is another factor, children (upto a certain age) are really slow. You almost need to go out for a ride with them and then go for a proper ride without them.

I nipped out at lunch for a quick cycle down the Thames path and I saw plenty of couples bimbling down the path together. No children though.

Riding that route on Sunday I saw plenty of families with numerous children in tow.
    --
    FCN 9
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Many people are lazy and think that's what cars were invented for, to eliminate exercise and perspiration. Other exercise generating tools have been replaced. Drills, saws, screwdrivers and so on. We're an automated world.

They also think it is dangerous as helmets are popular.
  • There is another factor, children (upto a certain age) are really slow. You almost need to go out for a ride with them and then go for a proper ride without them.

While that's true, I don't see it as a reason that families don't cycle together. We were at Llandegla at the weekend, did the blue route with the younger two in bike seats and the 5 yr old on his Beinn 20. We then grabbed a bite in the cafe before my wife took the kids for a walk around the lake and I whistled round the black. (Had we not watched Wales vs. France in the morning, I would have had time then to return the favour so the wife could ride the red.) Which did I enjoy more? Probably riding with my family - you can't beat hearing your son going "weeeee!!!" on some nice sweeping singletrack - but the point is that it is not a question of one or the other; they are different activities: family cycling and hobby cycling (for want of a better phrase). Family cycling is additional time on the bike, not an alternative to heading out on the bike myself - and can even increase the time I get on the bike on my own...

_
  • baudman
    Fri - CX. Riding a distance (work, then to Mountain Goat Brewery), at speed
    Sat am - CargoBike. One girl as cargo. In traffic. Some speed required.
    Sat pm - Family vehicle. One girl in seat. One girl on trailgator. Some speed required. Once at destination, girl detached so she could ride solo. Had planned on her riding home solo (slow), however grey clouds and wind change meant we ran out of time, so rode home attached.
    Sun - CX, with girl attached on trailgator for traffic part, and hill part of route. Otherwise, detached. Slow.
    Mon - Wed - Standard commuter, for standard commuter run. (Not far, so speed of CX not req'd.)
    Thu - Standard commuter. Girl rides solo to school, so v slow run.

My point being, there's always an excuse for not riding. There's also (generally) a way of making it happen. Given, not everyone is at liberty to have an N number as high as mine. But then, if I chose better, I could probably manage one bike to rule them all. Ish.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I used to ride to nursery with my daughter when she was 3, straight on the cycle track and away. I wish she went to a school nearer where she lives with her mother and they could ride but sadly said mother is sweat averse :(
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    STUART: We wanted to comment on your blog pages that the triplet+trailer combo must have a turning radius measured in counties. :) I find turning a single childback tandem around fairly challenging, myself :).

As for your Q... It's down to sad historical reasons I'm sure, but I do know quite a few families that do some cycling, actually, even if it's only occasional & purely off-road. Also a fair few that will do light pleasure commuting (kids to school). I'm sure families out together is increasing, too. Just around town I'm seeing a lot more interesting bikes in recent times, more trailers, too.
  • zebra67 wrote:
    STUART: We wanted to comment on your blog pages that the triplet+trailer combo must have a turning radius measured in counties. :) I find turning a single childback tandem around fairly challenging, myself :)..

Yes, the turning circle is something horrendous. And you should try reversing. I think I should have done some kind of articulated lorry training. Certainly had a few jackknife incidents!

Sorry you weren;t able to comment on the blog. If you let me know the page I'll check it out. I've found comments turned off on a few random pages.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    You're preaching to the converted here. You may as well go on a cricket forum and ask why families don't play cricket that often.

MY kids' primary school has pretty good provisions for cycling and you see quite a few mums and dads riding their kids in and then cycling off to work or wherever. It becomes seen as something 'normal' so more people do it.

We still have plenty of parents that don't though - simply because it's far easier to load them in the car (until they get to school and have to park miles away!).

One thing we regular cyclists found - last summer they had Bikeability courses for the Yr6s. In the weeks after there was barely any space at the bike racks. As dads who cycled their kids year round we got a bit sniffy at these newcomers taking 'our' spaces at the bike rack!
  • baudman
    NFMC wrote:
    ... As dads who cycled their kids year round we got a bit sniffy at these newcomers taking 'our' spaces at the bike rack!

But who also rejoiced in the numbers, surely? :wink:
  • Here in the USA, seeing people riding bicycles is not the average mode of transportation at all. However, in larger cities the sound of bicycle clicks by commuters, etc. has been increasing.

Also, many bicycles especially the lower priced ones have been imported from overseas. Some bicycle companies are actually making a comeback for US produced bikes. The whole bike may not be produced in the USA, such as tires but the manufacturers are at least doing more manufacturing than they were.
  • baudman
    Cliques?
    If that's the word you mean, then I'm not sure about US, but I always thought it meant a group that's quite insular and others are actively excluded from, unless invited.
    Not something I like to see in cycling.

(Of course, if I've misconstrued, carry on... nothing to see here).
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    My wife and I have always taken our kids out cycling with us, and like someone said I see it is extra time not a replacement for me riding.

We've done long distance rides, both in the Uk and abroad, with the children in child seats and then on arms. Now, they are cycling by themselves we just go further and on more varied terrain.

We have taken ours on a number of trail centres and we always get cheery comments from other bikers. Though less so when my 6 year old blasted past people on the blue trail at Whinlatter!

It is really down to how you act as a family. My kids take it as natural to go for a ride, whereas some of their class mates never get on their bike.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com