What do you guys ride in?

Evo Nabz
Evo Nabz Posts: 16
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hey Guys! Im new to the scene and was wondering what sort of clothing to you wear?

Comments

• MTB shorts, and either a T-shirt or a jersey. I ride with SPD's, so some shimano AM shoes, and a pair of good full finger gloves. Helmet and shades are also a must, and depending on the route im riding I sometimes wear knee/shin protectors.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Lycra padded shorts with a pair of Endura Hummvee baggys over the top, Helly Hansen base layer or wicking T. If its cold Endura Thermolite 3/4 Bibs, Baggys, Base layer, Mid layer and Shell.
  • toonfan
    toonfan Posts: 48
    Wasn't there an article on this very subject on here recently??

Do a search Evo see what you can find..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Padded cycling shorts with baggies over the top and bike jersey or T.

Avoid regular cotton T-shirts, especially in the cold in winter. They soak sweat and stay cold and wet.

And yeah, helmet definitely, shades or any eye protection also in my opinion as I just get bugs, mud and grit in my eyes instantly without them. I use ones with interchangeable lenses, clear, yellow for dark/dull, and shades for sun.

Knee pads. Up to you with the armour stuff depending what you do. Starting out if it's not serious stuff, can do without. Just the helmet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as you don't like this.

33u4tfo.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Helmet, old pair of glasses, Berghaus base layer (top and bottom), Endura jersey, SealSkin socks, an old pair of Karrimor trainers and recently bought a paid of Altura Attack waterproof trousers, which seem to be doing the job nicely. Also got a "boil in the bag" waterproof coat for when it's throwing it down, cost about £18 from Sports Direct. Not sure if it's worth it because although it keeps you dry from the outside, you sweat so much from the indside that you get just as wet as if you never bothered with a jacket in the first palce :(

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    baggy shorts , T shirt over a riding top . helmet and glasses . For DJ i wear baggy combat trousers over leg armour .
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This stuff, accurate as of a few hours ago. Knee pad didn't work however rest of the armor was very reccomended if you ever start doing this kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0FXgS9P5g

Btw the front wheel hit a tree stump i couldnt avoid hence why i came off. Knee is now swollen to 3x its size :roll:
  • I use a choice of merino baselayers for when it gets cold: I've got a thicker long sleeve one and thinner short sleeve one. I also have long sleeve and short sleeve jerseys, again I make a decision based on the weather. A decent waterproof jacket, I've got a DHB Signal. A helmet and gloves are a given and I always put on knee and elbow pads in the form of 661 Kyle Straits and POC Bones. For riding shoes the best I've had so far (Teva Links and Shimano AM41s) are the Teva Links by a country mile. They dry very quickly, have a nice grippy sole, have good toe and heel protection, are by the comfiest, best fitting shoes I've ever ahd and they look damn nice in the lunar rock with the yellow laces IMO (there are grey laces supplied if you don't like loud kit).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Double Happy shorts or simple tracksuit bottoms, football shirts in the summer, golf jacket on top when it rains, and in winter a fleece in between. Simple, cheap and works.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    661 Subgear with DH jersey, baggies with padded liner (sounds like a feminine hygiene product :? ), 661 Kyle Strait Knees, Specialized Tahoes, socks, helmet and goggles or shades depending on the weather - oh and a pair of Kona 'somethings' full-finger gloves
    deadkenny wrote:
    Up to you with the armour stuff depending what you do. Starting out if it's not serious stuff, can do without. Just the helmet.

tbh I had more falls starting out with no armour than I do now I wear protection - although to be fair the occasional offs I do have now are much more serious - so yes, armour (helmet included) is more important now
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • i saw a guy at cannock today wearing what looked like a one-piece cow suit! think it was some sort of down-hill wear that i dont know about. It was cool.
    Current hack: Commencal Meta 5.5.3
  • Cheers for the replys guys will get on it :) Going to cannok chase today so should be fun haha :P
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited October 2011
    Fox or Endura padded shorts, MTB shirt, both long and short sleeved, MTB shoes and relevant knee & elbow padding. Gloves, usually with armoured knuckles, 661, Fox or RockGDN (Yes, I have a glove fetish and sadly own 7 pairs) MTB shoes
    Helmet choice depends on the route + glasses
  • Gore Bike Wear or Endura shorts, either short or long finger gloves depending on conditions, base layer short or long sleeve, helmet, knee pads, seal skin socks, 5 10 shoes & always carry a waterproof just in case. Sometime good to use a skull cap on the really cold days.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Lycra. Loads of it. :-)
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Helmet, Bolle glasses (clear lens), Decathlon MTB shorts or cycling short with a pair of army-like short on top, running top or cycling top, jacket when chilly and gloves.
    I have not yet been out when it is really cold as this is my first year

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    /\ shudders

Been wearing some Endura shorts for four years now, though the crotch is torn through and they've already been repaired at the stitch shop. Might be time to replace.
    One of those breathable T shirts, and depending on the temperature a soft shell or two.
    Low cut karrimor walking trainers - /warning, do not walk in Karrimor shoes./
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    Lycra. Loads of it. :-)
    The mandatory photo at this point...

fat_lycra.jpg
  • cooldad
    That is actually njee20.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    I was in shape then! It's all gone a bit Pete Tong since, don't look nearly as good now :-(

This is what I actually wear:

222056_195241620517328_143937835647707_456075_239655_n.jpg

With a choice of glasses and helmets!
  • cooldad
    Nice legs. You could advertise wax.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    The tan lines are the best part :-):

269557_1764274999389_1614540009_1430329_5272768_n.jpg
  • If I have been drinking usually nothing!
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    cooldad wrote:
    As long as you don't like this.

33u4tfo.jpg

Reminds me of Tyres from Spaced/Shaun of the Dead
    120nxwk.png
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    baggy shorts (its the law)
    selection of bike tops/jerseys/jacket.

waterproof jacket if needed
    rubber shoe covers to keep the toes warm and toasty
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Am I the only one who wears ladies underwear?? :oops:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Got the shorts sorted endura baggy just need the top now and may be some good socks!
  • Lycra - made for speed! (can't be aRsed with all this baggy stuff - probably my age :roll: )
  • stu27183 wrote:
    i saw a guy at cannock today wearing what looked like a one-piece cow suit! think it was some sort of down-hill wear that i dont know about. It was cool.

Very cool...

Cow.jpg