where to go riding 2m? within 30mins of manchester?

stu27183
stu27183 Posts: 37
edited October 2011 in Routes
Seen as the weather has picked up and my bike is back from a long stint at the cycleshop, im going to go out in the morning somewhere with my mate. Weve done llandgela loads of times its great but quite far (need to be back in time for the big match). Ive googled this but loads of random boring threads come up with not much of a 'proper' trail comes up. Thought about delamere but sounds flat and boring?
Current hack: Commencal Meta 5.5.3

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    try Healey Nab or Lee Quarry

prob a bit more than 20 mins, but both good fun
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Rivington !
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Rossendale (Includes Lee & Cragg) Quarries and Calderdale (home of SIngletrack magazine) next door. Loads of natural riding.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • As above Lee and Cragg Quarry.

Dele is great but you need to know where to ride as there's loads of hidden stuff
  • thanks guys. The videos on the lee/cragg website have scared me off a bit they look a bit too hairy for my (lack of) skill level! so, i ended up going a long way (an hour) down to cannock chase - was really enjoying the first ten minutes then booooooom - rear mech hanger snapped and took the mech into the wheel and bent it! so a long walk back to the car carrying the bike and a trip home! nightmare of a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Current hack: Commencal Meta 5.5.3
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Peak district... Not far for you to travel at all...
    Ladybower, Cutgate, Jacobs Ladder, Rowarth, 3 shires head (Cat and Fiddle pub area) loads of great rides, and many more not mentioned...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Gisburn you could do in less than an hour from manchester, Definatley go if you haven't been yet.

Rivington to healy nab is good, I do this a lot. Single track, cross country, some fun downhill as you head to the cricket pitch at white coppice then onto healy nab.

Dont be put off by lee quarry, i'm a total amature/wuss and have a great time there. The amount of jagged rock is slightly daunting at first and going round the top of the quarry when its windy is a bit hairy but a total buzz :D
    Papa? Nicole
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    stu27183 wrote:
    thanks guys. The videos on the lee/cragg website have scared me off a bit they look a bit too hairy for my (lack of) skill level! so, i ended up going a long way (an hour) down to cannock chase - was really enjoying the first ten minutes then booooooom - rear mech hanger snapped and took the mech into the wheel and bent it! so a long walk back to the car carrying the bike and a trip home! nightmare of a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you can ride the chase then you will be fine at lee quarry and cragg quarry..

like the others say..
    rivington theres quite a few routes up there including healy nab.
    gisburn forest is pretty good and within an hour away.
    then on the doorspet is lee and cragg quarry..
    and there is other riding in the area of rossendale.....