Planet X Titanium Frame

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone got one? Any views?

Apparently they are made by Lynskey.
Only £800....

Comments

• Not answering your question I know cc but if you want to build something up from a titanium frame have you considered sourcing one direct from China? I had one built to my own spec from XACD for about £300 plus shipping and money transfer costs. I did shop around and was able to call in some favours to get cheap kit but even so Total build (Ultegra) came in at about £1300. I understand that many of the well known brands source their frames from China to similar specs too.

PM me with email address and I'll send design, component list and photos if you like.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Van Nicholas now, the old ones were Lynskey. Not really heard anything about the Van Nicholas ones but there own frames get good reviews.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Don't know anybody who has one but for £1,499 built up with Sram Force or £1,799 with Red they are an absolute bargain.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... sram-force
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Don't know anybody who has one but for £1,499 built up with Sram Force or £1,799 with Red they are an absolute bargain.

But they're not really built up with a full Force or Red gruppo, lots of Apex-level kit everywhere. Annoys me with Planet-X. At least Ribble do the full groupset when you select a Force or Red bike.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    Don't know anybody who has one but for £1,499 built up with Sram Force or £1,799 with Red they are an absolute bargain.

But they're not really built up with a full Force or Red gruppo, lots of Apex-level kit everywhere. Annoys me with Planet-X. At least Ribble do the full groupset when you select a Force or Red bike.

You're right - hadn't spotted that. Apex chainset which is a little bit budget on a Ti bike I suppose.

Still pretty pretty decent value though.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Not answering your question I know cc but if you want to build something up from a titanium frame have you considered sourcing one direct from China? I had one built to my own spec from XACD for about £300 plus shipping and money transfer costs. I did shop around and was able to call in some favours to get cheap kit but even so Total build (Ultegra) came in at about £1300. I understand that many of the well known brands source their frames from China to similar specs too.

PM me with email address and I'll send design, component list and photos if you like.

I bought my old titanium frame from Setavento.

They got their frames sourced in China in a similar way to XACD
    I used Setavento as I didn't want to deal direct with someone like XACD and I wanted a custom design.

Three years on the frame broke. Due to a manufacturing flaw. Setavento had stopped trading due to the high level of returns on their frames. I had to get it repaired at my own cost. Dunno how effective the repair will be, we'll see.

Just because the frame is made from a wonder material like Titanium doesn't mean that it is going to last forever.

The warrantee from Planet-X is worth something.

If I wanted another custom Titanium frame I'd use Burls. They get all their frames made in Russia
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    vorsprung wrote:
    If I wanted another custom Titanium frame I'd use Burls. They get all their frames made in Russia

My Burls is in transit. Very excited.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    The tax rebate that preceded my consideration of Ti frames has been clamed by the missus. "You told me if you bought the Condor you wouldnt need another bike for at least three years" she said. She has a point.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The tax rebate that preceded my consideration of Ti frames has been clamed by the missus. "You told me if you bought the Condor you wouldnt need another bike for at least three years" she said. She has a point.

Cyclist years are measured using the same method Castelli uses to measure chest sizes. Your three years should be nearly up by now.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    I've tried the 'Italian sizing' logic with her already - she laughed a hollow laugh, squinted one eye, raised a bony finger slowly up to my face and jabbed me in the cheek.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've tried the 'Italian sizing' logic with her already - she laughed a hollow laugh, squinted one eye, raised a bony finger slowly up to my face and jabbed me in the cheek.

The joys of married life...
  • I've tried the 'Italian sizing' logic with her already - she laughed a hollow laugh, squinted one eye, raised a bony finger slowly up to my face and jabbed me in the cheek.

sounds familliar.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I own a Lynskey Planet X. The Road Pro with the proper race geo. 'Kin fantastic. Ultegra with Model B wheels. May upgrade the wheels soon.

Kind of want a Cervelo S3 but at a push would settle for some Chinese Carbon Clinchers in 50mm guise.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.