700C disc-braked wheelsets

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Factory-built, these seem to incredibly hard to find (even in 29er spec) which surprises me. Anybody point me towards a (good) source? I don't want anything fancy because, likely as not, I'm only going to stick a set of Marathon Winters on them (at over 900g each). Needs to be SRAM-spec 10-speed hub (if it's different from Shimano) - ideally not more than £150 the pair

*Edit - dumbass - SRAM not Campag*
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Sounds like a good time to learn how to build wheels. Good luck finding a Campagnolo freehub/disk brake combination hub in 135mm spacing for your £150, though.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread73870.html
    Maybe, though you'll need to arrange shipping. No experience of them personally.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanred, i'm really sure i understand the question...but a lot of hybrids (700cc) have disc brakes? (like my boardman) - don know what the original wheels are , but my rear had to be replaced and is now a bontrager(?)...
  • richVSrich wrote:
    meanred, i'm really sure i understand the question...but a lot of hybrids (700cc) have disc brakes? (like my boardman) - don know what the original wheels are , but my rear had to be replaced and is now a bontrager(?)...

And none of them use Campagnolo freehubs...

The "cheapest" one I could see would be a Royce hub, and you wouldn't get the front one for £150.
  • meanredspider
    Sorry - I'm having a Friday afternoon moment :oops: :oops: :oops: - I don't mean Campag (I wish) - I mean SRAM (Apex in fact) - which I'm guessing is Shimano compatible.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    richVSrich wrote:
    meanred, i'm really sure i understand the question...but a lot of hybrids (700cc) have disc brakes? (like my boardman) - don know what the original wheels are , but my rear had to be replaced and is now a bontrager(?)...

That was exactly my thought - there should be mountains of 700c disc wheels. Just damned if I can find them. Even the Ritchey Pro Discs which came with the Boardman CX I can't find anywhere.
  • Ah, that does make things a bit different. Road or MTB spacing at the back?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I fancy a set of the crankbros cobalt 29er. Nowhere near £150 though!

just found this after a little search:

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2839-700c-shimano-deore-disc-29-front-rear-wheels.aspx
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.halorims.com/products-detail ... d=WHHA9WKF

or think more MTB and look for 29ers as they call them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • meanredspider
    Ah, that does make things a bit different. Road or MTB spacing at the back?

I'm guessing road - SRAM Apex 11-32 10-speed on a Boardman CX
  • meanredspider
    I fancy a set of the crankbros cobalt 29er. Nowhere near £150 though!

just found this after a little search:

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2839-700c-shimano-deore-disc-29-front-rear-wheels.aspx

Yup - saw these earlier. Drilled for Shrader valves and take 28c tyres (wider than I'd ideally like at the smaller end)
  • Ah, that does make things a bit different. Road or MTB spacing at the back?

I'd check that if I were you. If they are road spaced, then you're into the hen's teeth area, if they're MTB spaced, then you can get loads. The Deore ones, above would do fine, shame about the cheap spokes, though.
  • meanredspider
    Ah, that does make things a bit different. Road or MTB spacing at the back?

I'd check that if I were you. If they are road spaced, then you're into the hen's teeth area, if they're MTB spaced, then you can get loads.

How do I know? 135mm is MTB spacing?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1. Measure the frame/current hubs.

And 2. Yep. 135=MTB.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yup. Measure the current hub from locknut to locknut and you'll have your answer. I suspect it'll be 135 mm. I'd get a wheel-builder to make you some up (or do it yourself, you're mechanically minder, IIRC) based on some Shimano hubs and whatever rims you decide on. I quite like Rigida rims, for reference, cheap and strong.

You say that you want thinner than 28mm tyres, yet you want to put Marathon Winters on? They're 35mm, aren't they?
  • bsc8180
    bsc8180 Posts: 17
    My lbs actually had a pair in stock when the hub went on my original front wheel on the Boardman hybrid - they were happy to sell me just the front one, its a Shimano M475 hub I think. I am pretty sure they are the Madison MPart ones from here -> link.
  • meanredspider
    Yup. Measure the current hub from locknut to locknut and you'll have your answer. I suspect it'll be 135 mm. I'd get a wheel-builder to make you some up (or do it yourself, you're mechanically minder, IIRC) based on some Shimano hubs and whatever rims you decide on. I quite like Rigida rims, for reference, cheap and strong.

You say that you want thinner than 28mm tyres, yet you want to put Marathon Winters on? They're 35mm, aren't they?

Cool - I might just do that - time is my greatest challenge though.

Yes - you're correct on the Marathon Winters. I was just thinking if I end up with some better wheels than the Ritcheys I'd stick the Winters on the Ritcheys and keep the other wheels for the Gators. My plan is to chuck the wheels on the bike that suit the conditions. The plan might be overkill - I need to ride the Winters first to see how they are.

You're right though - I'm mechanically minded - I'm a fellow of the Institution and do this for "fun"

http://www.alfa.me.uk/crash.html
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

Yup - saw these earlier. Drilled for Shrader valves and take 28c tyres (wider than I'd ideally like at the smaller end)

you can get presta adaptors to fill the gap.

I have the aerowarriors on hope 2 hubs for our touring bikes. They take a 23c tyre no problem.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails