Bicycle interest questionnaire

soly133
soly133 Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi everyone.

Im currently doing a study on how to improve bicycle safety equipment and need some feedback information from some riders. If people could please fill out these questionnaires it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/776KGXB
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/729R2HY

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Q5 : Items are selected on both function and price

Q7 : don’t and probably wouldn’t use cycle paths, as they are too slow; having to wait where they cross roads and too dangerous, where they are shared with pedestrians
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hate surveys, but did complete with random information.
    You do need to think about your questions though viz

3. Do you know the signals for when riding on a bike? If so how often do you use them?

What the hell does that mean?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Q6 More than once a week but not once a day

Q7 I wouldn't benefit as I wouldn't use cycle lanes

Q8 That depends I suppose in the dark my lights would
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Done.

FWIW I don't think there's much scope for improving safety equipment on bicycles; greater impact protection requires additional weight, which is undesirable. As far as collisions with motor vehicles go I would mandate 5 year expiry on drivers' licences; 3 years for new drivers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • deleted rant
  • IMHO the best way to improve bicycle safety equipment would be better info for consumers regarding lights, reflectors and helmets. And for manufacturers to make safety a genuine concern, rather than paying lip service to it.

Lights need a better method of evaluating light output, not just the lumen count but the beam pattern/throw as well. How many people have any idea if their lights are even legal?

Reflectors: usually the first things to go in the bin. I have red reflective bar end plugs. Do they count, legally, as a reflector? There's no info on the packaging but I can't see anything to say they meet the relevant standard, so I guess they don't count. Also, I hardly see anyone with pedal reflectors, even though it's a legal requirement 30mins after sunset. That's almost always down to the actual design of the pedal. I'm actually surpised the EU hasn't forced manufacturers of pedal systems to make their pedals (esp road pedals) reflector-compatible.

Helmets: ever wondered why a piece of polystyrene can cost £150? Ever wondered exactly what it's designed to do, and what it can/can't do for you in the event the worst happens? Ever wondered exactly what the testing standards/procedures are? Ever wondered why helmet manufacturers bang on about how the new model is lighter/cooler/more stylish but never mention safety? Ever wondered why a helmet made of cardboard and only costing £5 out-performs existing polystyrene designs in impact tests?

All this info should be made available to Joe Bloggs at the point of sale, in marketing blurb, and on the packaging.
  • I agree lights and reflectors could have a larger impact on consumer needs, never the less it was important to get a better view from a target audience so i could compare what everyone would prefer and choose the best course of action but ill take that into consideration :D

and cheers to everyone who filled them out! i now have a good resource to base my design brief on.

Its very much appreciated (Y)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You need to change Q7 on the first survey; like any others cycle lanes in their present format don't provide any level of safety and most certainly don't save time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • really?? would have thought it would be a lot safer than riding on the roads.. cheers anyway
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    soly133 wrote:
    really?? would have thought it would be a lot safer than riding on the roads.. cheers anyway

Seriously.

Most are not cleaned and so tend to be full of the various bits of shrapnel that tend to cause punctures

In autumn wet leaves that aren't cleaned away by car tyres cause havoc.

They are frequently shared with footpaths and are therefore tend to be full of pedestrians that aren't paying attention.

Cycle tracks tend to have to give way at junctions rather than take priority like the road they run next to. Any deviation from this tends to be more dangerous as drivers assume they have priority.

They tend to be far removed from the shortest and quickest routes.

They are frequently full off road furniture, like manholes which are very, very sloppy when wet.

If you commute any distance by bike or want to travel at more than 12mph then you'll see that most experienced cyclists abandon them all together.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX