Bottles growing hairy mold on the top?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is it safe to use these if they are cleaned and scolded with boiling water? It's like grey hairy mold growing on top.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wash with Milton. And don't let it happen again.
  • bidons, you mean, rather than just like old beer bottles. I've used hot water to rinse them and bi-carb to soak them. But I read on here a while back that what is ideal for sterilising mucky bottles are denture cleaning tablets. Not tried that though. And another tip was to store unused bottles in the fridge to prevent fungussy things happeneing.

A good clean and they should be ok to use.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the bottle is clean - then theres no reason for mold to grow ? Camelbaks may be better in the freezer as they are harder to clean and dry 100%.

My bottles get rinsed out after each ride and usually washed in the dishwasher - they last years this way.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    edited October 2011
    If you want to be sure of shifting it, go for a sterilising product such as:

(1) Milton Fluid or the like, for cleaning babies' feeding bottles

or

(2) Campden tablets/Bruclens as sold by home-brew/winemaking suppliers for cleaning fermentation buckets, demijohns and similar.

Don't forget to wash the bottles out well with cold water afterwards to avoid nasty after-tastes!!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I tend to use bidons until my Mrs throws them away because she thinks they represent a biohazard,
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I tend to use bidons until my Mrs throws them away because she thinks they represent a biohazard,

+1 :lol:

I just get cheapo halfords bidons, use them daily untill they start to look like the NHS, and then throw them away, not very economical i know, but im a lazy git.
  • pastabake wrote:
    Is it safe to use these if they are cleaned and scolded with boiling water? It's like grey hairy mold growing on top.

You mean you told it off sternly? :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Students :roll:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You need to shave off the mould for aerodynamic purposes, and to enable the bottle to be more easily cleaned of road-rash
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's a bit grim letting mould grown on your bidons, but at the end of the day it probably won't do you any harm whatsoever.

How's the Drama degree going, anyway?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I tend to lose my bottles before they have the chance to grow mold. Either to a pothole or my son. Same outcome.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • you dirty.... :wink::lol: