If this is the advice from driving instructors ...

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't actually remember being told how far to move away when overtaking cyclists, but I do remember being told not to pull back in again until you can see them in your rear view mirror.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I had a similar situation yesterday (Thursday) on my way home from work... Its 6:45pm, I'm in the bus lane (valid til 7pm) doing about 22mph, a learner passes me, then suddenly signals left and pulls in as if to turn left... I'm on the brakes and pull out to go round the outside when they suddenly signal right and pull out of the bus lane - fortunately I'm quicker and avoid the near collision... Next set of lights I stop, they pull up beside me. I knock on the window and the instructor winds it down. I politely ask if he's an instructor. Yes he is... "so what was that all about, you need to teach them to give more room to bikes, not to use the bus lane when not allowed and to be more observant"... His reply- "I'm trying to teach him all that". No apology! :roll: It was a BSM car, I've a mind to drop them a note... plus this instructor was so large I'm surprised there was room in the car for the pupil... it was a Corsa and he had the seat pushed right back but I swear his belly was practically on the dashboard! :shock:
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • not read it all so may have already been said.

why were you in at the kerb coming up to a pinch point? you've set yourself up to be squeezed. Ride primary(+) coming up to potential danger spots and you'll head off a lot of these sort of situations & never know they'd have occurred.
  • Really? Do you deliberately aim for the middle of speed bumps rather than pass on the flat on the left? I agree that taking primary at pinch points is generally sound advice, but i am now interested to find out whether most people avoid going over speed bumps if possible, or whether you all aim for the middle- especially for those square ones - do you go into the middle of the road so you hit it square on or do you go over the slope at the side?