Shimano M505 Pedals vs M520 or M540

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently using the M505s that came with the bike, but they are quite heavy and don't seem to shed mud that well. Plus im looking to lose a bit of weight from the pedals. I cant seem to see any difference between the M520 and M540 other than the weight. The axle seems to look thinner from appearance.
Does anyone know the difference?
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive been using m520's for years myself, they're a good balance of price and weight. Ive never paid more than £20 a pair but they look to have gone up by a couple quid or so now, that said though they are still a bargain pedal.

The 540's are marginally lighter (and i do mean marginal) and have slightly better sealing on them but at twice the price of 520's i dont think its worth it myself. I usually run a set for about 12-18 months before it time to replace them depending on the winter they've been through.

If your a weight weeney with lots of spare cash or someone else is paying i would get the better pedals but if your a mere mortal like the rest of us then really the 520's are all the pedal you'll need.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280746348948? ... 1439.l2649
    £15 no cleats.
    Buy the tool - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... C0Q8wIwAQ#
    I now open the new ones and grease before use, old ones every few months, takes a min or two.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I had M505's - I found their operation quite poor, I think they haven't been made for sometime. I currently have M970 (XTR) M770 (XT) and M520 pedals and I find them all excellent. I wouldn't know which set I was using without looking down. The differences are weight (only about 50g less for XTR over 520's), sealing, bearings, and the size of the Allen key needed (larger on XTR/XT's). I think you would expect a longer life out of the pricier ones, but I haven't worn any out yet in several years.

I would now buy the 520's rather than spend any more, a fantastic bargain at around £20.