Alfine 11 Versa...

Hobbers85
Hobbers85 Posts: 30
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Does anyone know which off the shelf bikes are availale to this spec?

I'm only aware of the on one pompetamine (out of stock until mid Nov) and day one (too expensive at £1600).

Cheers.

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Actually, looking through that list they mostly seem to be flat bar bikes. :?
  • Anyone else?
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    You could try contacting Versa and ask what bike manufacturers are using their 11 speed shifters... they may not tell you but there is no harm asking.

In the past I contacted them with some questions about compatibility with brakes and they did respond.

http://www.sussex.com.tw/contact.html
  • Surprised no one has mentioned this yet: the Genesis Day 1 Versa 11 is now out and looks great. The price tag is a little hefty, however. I think I heard they have changed the disc brakes too so the issues the Versa 8 had should now be solved.

Last time I was in Brixton Cycles they were doing a drop bar, Versa 8 Cotic Road Rat, so they may well be able to make you an 11 speed one.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Milk Bike's RDA can be specced with a Versa 11, as each one is built to order. A lot dearer than the On One, however.
  • godders1
    Surprised no one has mentioned this yet: the Genesis Day 1 Versa 11 is now out and looks great.
    The OP ruled it out for being too expensive.

Probably why no one else mentioned it! :lol:
  • Godders1 wrote:
    Surprised no one has mentioned this yet: the Genesis Day 1 Versa 11 is now out and looks great.
    The OP ruled it out for being too expensive.

Probably why no one else mentioned it! :lol:

An excelent point well made :oops:

Now, why did no one mention the Pompetamine to him?
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Now, why did no one mention the Pompetamine to him?

I was going to say, what about this: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETV ... _speed_pro
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Because the OP already mentioned it in the OP.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I think planet x are doing a kafenbak with drops, discs and alfine 11
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • I think planet x are doing a kafenbak with drops, discs and alfine 11

They are indeed.
    [img][/img]http://www.on-one.co.uk/imgs/products/4 ... F11_P1.jpg

The Pompetamine is £100 more than the Kaffenback but I haven't compared the spec of the 2 bikes.

What is the difference between the Pompetamine and Kaffenback frame-wise?
  • That seems to have a flat bar...

But thanks anyway!
  • I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the off the shelf bikes equiped with drop bars and alfine 11 so contemplating have something custom built. Ideally I'd want it built around a "traditional" english steel frame (I'm thinking Bob Jackson/Mercian). Can anyone recommend any suitable frames/builders? It would have to have horizontal drop outs and sufficient rear spacing for the hub (135mm). Cheers.
  • Cotec do the Roadrat with alfine & discs (and a carbon fork upgrade) but I've only seen them with flat bars - nice steel bike though!
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • godders1
    You said £1600 (for the Genesis) was too expensive so I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised when you start putting costs together for a custom steel framed bike with an Alfine 11 hub.

Pompetamines should be back in stock in 2-3 weeks anyway. Frustrating to wait (I have one on order so can sympathise there!) but incredibly good value and cracking bikes apparently.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Hobbers85 wrote:
    I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the off the shelf bikes equiped with drop bars and alfine 11 so contemplating have something custom built. Ideally I'd want it built around a "traditional" english steel frame (I'm thinking Bob Jackson/Mercian). Can anyone recommend any suitable frames/builders? It would have to have horizontal drop outs and sufficient rear spacing for the hub (135mm). Cheers.

Spec some sliding rear dropoutswith disc mount and a belt drive break and you have a far more versatile bike.
  • Michael - does that mean you can modify any vertical drop out bike with an alfine hub and no tensioner?!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Sliding vertical dropouts are a frame feature they have to build in from new. It may be possible to retrofit a steel frame but its not trivial. I dont know who builds with them but I imagine all the usual touring bike outfits (Bob Jackson, Mercian, Roberts etc) could handle the build.
    You can tension a chain or belt with an eccentric bottom bracket but since you need to split the rear triangle to fit a belt, a SVD at the rear makes more sense. There are some splitting devices that can be fitted into the chainstay but the SVD handles splitting and tensioning in one unit.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    seeing as we are mentioning things the OP has already discounted here's my mates Alfine 11 on it's first outing this weekend

Yes it's a flat or riser bar and doesnt suit the Versa but it is a steel frame designed in England (Epsom) and built in Taiwan

13-11-2011_14.jpg

13-11-2011_15.jpg
    FCN = 4