will I need a new cassette

ythnmj
ythnmj Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Ive had my bike for about 12 months. The chain recently broke and both the gear cables are stretched/ not working. I went into a shop to ask for a repair bill he said i needed a new cassete as well...£110 for new chain cables and a crap cassette to be put on...I said no thanks.

My main question is will I need a new cassette for this bike already? It looks in ok condition. Its an aluminum cassette btw. The bike is a cannondale flash.

Cheers
..................................................................................................................................................
my twitter|my facebook|my taylormade r11 irons|

Comments

• lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    Unfortunatelyhe is probablyright. New chains normally don't mix with old cassettes, as they together, to avoid this you need to change the chain regularly, but even then it will be a new cassette every 2ish chains. Same goes other way round, new cassette won't normally mesh with old chain.
    That bill is ludicrously high though.
  • ythnmj wrote:
    Ive had my bike for about 12 months. The chain recently broke and both the gear cables are stretched/ not working. I went into a shop to ask for a repair bill he said i needed a new cassete as well...£110 for new chain cables and a crap cassette to be put on...I said no thanks.

My main question is will I need a new cassette for this bike already? It looks in ok condition. Its an aluminum cassette btw. The bike is a cannondale flash.

Cheers
    12 month??? Time dont stretch chain and wear cassette.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aluminium cassettes wear out quickly. But you should be able to replace everything with budget stuff for about £30. DIY with a chainwhip and cassette tool (another £15?) should take around half an hour.
    For the £110 you could replace with top end stuff. Easily
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ythnmj wrote:

Cheers

110 quid to replace the chain, cable and a new casette is extremely steep for an LBS, he's taking the mickey a bit. I just got a new Dura-Ace chain and casette put on my road bike, and in total it cost me around 100 with work, but those are top of the line parts.
  • that price is quite high, especially as they will already be making money off you for the parts then probably charging quite a bit fitting. could well be worth sourcing the parts you want for MUCH cheaper and also some tools and fit yourself (giving you the option to work on your bike at a later date aswell) and come in within that price. Or source parts and ask just for fitting which should be fairly cheap tbh its not a big job! the hardest thing would be setting the gears back up but even thats not hard just fiddly.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You can get a fairly top of the range chain and cassette package for about £45, the cables are a fiver tops. Then get a basic bike repair toolkit (25 quid) and diy as cooldad says.

These parts are consumable, I'm on my 3rd chain and 2nd cassette this year.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    High price, but casette/chain wearing out in 12 months is fine, depends on how much you ride and how dirty.

Best doing it yourself, at least half the cost of the LBS, plus its pretty easy and you have the satisfaction of knowing how your bike works, and having fixed it yourself.

If you can afford it get a bike stand and a good tool kit, will save you £££'s in the long run.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"