Gore cables - which ones

ajb72
ajb72 Posts: 1,178
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Can anyone give me a short answer as to what the difference is between the various Gore Ride-On cables - in particular the Professional system and the sealed low friction system?

A riding chum has a problem with the rear brake being horribly rough feeling as it passes through the top tube of his Cento Uno. I wondered if the lined cable might be the solution as it will prevent the cable catching as it passes through. But which version of the cables?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Just built a bike with Gore Ride on but ditched the braking cable though the shifting is bang on smooth. :D
  • ajb72
    Just built a bike with Gore Ride on but ditched the braking cable though the shifting is bang on smooth. :D

Which cable set did you use?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    The sealed ones are fully sealed by a "third" middle tube from derailleur to shifter so mud/crud/water will get in, so they will last for ages - more commonly found on MTB's

The professional ones are nt - so they re open to the elements between cable stops
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ajb72
    ddraver wrote:
    The sealed ones are fully sealed by a "third" middle tube from derailleur to shifter so mud/crud/water will get in, so they will last for ages - more commonly found on MTB's

The professional ones are nt - so they re open to the elements between cable stops

Cheers - that was the answer I needed! As far as you know, are the sealed brake cables compatible with road brakes - in particular Campag?

Thanks again.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    Dunno, They re not double ended so maybe not....

I only use sealed ones on the MTB.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I have Gore Ride-On Professional cables on the Dolan and they are smooth and sealed enough for a road bike.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn