Bike Direction on Roof

rocketman76
rocketman76 Posts: 195
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions on which direction bikes should sit on the roof

I've Thule bike carriers which can be left or right opening.

So do I place both bikes facing forwards, or do I have the bikes one front facing, one rear facing?

If the answer is simply try it and see, so be it, just wondered if anyone had experience of whether one option is easier for mounting the bikes, or provides less wind noise etc.etc.etc.

cheers

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    both just as bad IMO. I run mine as single, forward, double, both forward and triple, 2 forward, 1 backward.
  • I run one as forward and the secondary one as backwards, simply because it means I can access the lock easier. If you have them both mounted forward with the lock on the outside then winner.
    As ^ said, a third slots nicely in the middle then.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    img1251uq.jpg

sorted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    If you have one forward and one rearward then the way you handle them is the same, you may find it physically easier one particular way, therefore stick with this . Otherwise does it really matter?
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,667
    I have one forward and one backward so I to make clamping easier (clamp goes onto the frame from the inside). Makes no other difference as far as I can see.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cheers for the answers folks.

I figured it wouldn't make much difference, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I'm going to go with both facing forwards as I like things ordered, so both forwards looks right to me.

Have to say the initial install of Thule aerobars and freeride carriers is a bit of a fiddle, but once setup they seem superb! (Just gotta remember the low bridges!)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    To fit 4 it's front/back/fron/back or they may not fit... and swap the fixings so they open the correct direction or you'll never get them loaded.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • msp1
    msp1 Posts: 59
    I carry 4 bikes on the roof with Thules, 2 forward, 2 rear facing. Just so happens that when I take my bike out on its own it faces rear but makes no difference.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    I run two facing backwards and one forwards. Running backwards seems to make the thing a bit more stable. That said, I've started to use the Halfords simpler racks rather than the Thule 591 for the main two as while it's less adjustable, having an arm either side bracing the bike is more stable than the single sided arm. Not that I ever had an issue with the 591, but...
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Ya know whats needed, some sort of guard or cover to stop the bikes getting covered in dead bugs.

Always find its a blood bath on the forks and handlebars of the bike after a good journey when they're on the roof.
  • nicklouse
    chainring2.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Hope you charged the little blighter trying to catch a free lift cheeky bugger.
  • beedj
    beedj Posts: 7
    Briggo wrote:
    Ya know whats needed, some sort of guard or cover to stop the bikes getting covered in dead bugs.

Always find its a blood bath on the forks and handlebars of the bike after a good journey when they're on the roof.

Clingfilm :)
  • How wide is your roof? How wide are the bars? If you have a wide roof then both forward facing (and swap the system round so the lock is facing outwards on both sides). You need a very wide car for bar widths these days though. I tend to do forward/back/forward/back so can get 4 bikes on the roof...

Bottoms, I see my answer has already been given...serves me right for lookin at the pic and not reading everything first time round!
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    nicklouse wrote:
    img1251uq.jpg

sorted.

thats exactly right!

gives the handlebars clearance so they don't bang
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    One facing forward, one facing back. Thats only because the racks were set like that.

The only difference is that when facing back there is less front wheel wobble, and therefore possibly a little safer. This will obviously depend on the racks you use.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I put mine facing backwards in the hope that stones and stuff are less likely to hit the fork stanchions
  • IMG_5417.jpg

went front facing as roof was wide enough..
  • cheers for the answers folks.

I figured it wouldn't make much difference, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I'm going to go with both facing forwards as I like things ordered, so both forwards looks right to me.

Have to say the initial install of Thule aerobars and freeride carriers is a bit of a fiddle, but once setup they seem superb! (Just gotta remember the low bridges!)
    I've always found a post-it note on the dash with the new hight helps avoid too low bridges. ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • my uncle has to have both bike facing forward, :lol:

but it can make fitting the bikes hard if the bars are hitting, each other. I go front back front back to fit more on
  • nicklouse
    spankone wrote:
    my uncle has to have both bike facing forward, :lol:

but it can make fitting the bikes hard if the bars are hitting, each other. I go front back front back to fit more on

then just undo the stem bolts and swing the bars around. then tighten the bolts back up.

simmples.