Eye(s) having trouble adjusting to changing light.

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Righto,

I damaged one of my irises a couple of years ago, which means that eye has trouble adjusting to light levels quickly. Getting older isn't going to help either. It's worse going from bright light to the dark than from dark to light.

i used to commute on pretty much deserted country roads, which meant an Exposure light did fine, as I hardly ever met any oncoming traffic. Now I'm on busy main roads, and I appeared to be having trouble on the way home today with the oncoming headlamps. I try not to look at them, but it's fairly hard when faced with a pair of xenons on full not to get some of the effect. Then, when the cars have passed, I'm left with an odd inbalance of sight (it's tricky to explain, it's not like simply closing one eye) which makes distances etc slightly confusing.

Any ideas for reducing the effects? I'm currently running an old Exposure Strada on the bars, and an Exposure Joystick stuck to my plastic hat. There's no street lighting for the vast majority of the way, and II can't really change the route of my commute without going significantly out of my way.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• can only suggest you get yourself down the opticians to rule out anything wrong with eyesight.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    davis wrote:
    Now I'm on busy main roads, and I appeared to be having trouble on the way home today with the oncoming headlamps. I try not to look at them, but it's fairly hard when faced with a pair of xenons on full not to get some of the effect.

Going from full beam to dark is going to screw with anyones eyes. Perhaps you should mount a properly bright light on your helmet & go full beam on the driver until they dip?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • try blue lenses/specs that cut out yellow/xenon glare - really useful.

http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/3/

Bolle Contour ESP Shaded Lens - £6.10 in particular.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    try blue lenses/specs that cut out yellow/xenon glare - really useful.

That's an epic idea, thanks.

I should have mentioned that I wear Adidas Evil Eye Pros because they're the only glasses that can be made in my prescription. I'll see if there are similar lenses for these.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    try blue lenses/specs that cut out yellow/xenon glare - really useful.

Ooooo, interesting.

I used to have some of these for MTBing but I lost them. Replaced them with some Tifosi ones with changeable lenses that have got scratched to buggery very quickly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."