Halt Gooey Pads anygood?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45697

Seen these and wondered if anybody uses them? They are to replace my stock Planet X pads.

Should I just get some Swiss Stop?

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I use em. Think that they are a decent cheap option. Different colours are a nice touch too.
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    I've been using some red ones with my Aksium wheels for the last 550-600km, commuting to work, all weathers.

I think they're great. No complaints. Good, responsive braking. Plenty of life left in them. Nice thing is, they're not too firm so they feel and respond nicely.

If a brake pad is too hard, maybe it can accelerate the wear of the rim? Better to wear out a £4 pad than your rim!
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    there's nothing wrong with them if you just want the cheap option, but you would notice a massive difference compared to swiss stops
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Holy thread resurrection!

I have these on my winter bike. I've often heard of people complaining about pads wearing quickly (not particularly with this brand), hearing stories of pads wearing out on one ride. I added a pinch of salt, figuring there was something particularly harsh in their riding environment.

Anyway, fitted these a couple of weeks ago, they need replacing already. That's about 300 miles, most of which is a completely flat commute on car free cycle path. I'm astonished at the wear rate!

I guess the flipside to this is that they're possibly saving my rims from wear.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    dodgy wrote:
    Holy thread resurrection!

I have these on my winter bike. I've often heard of people complaining about pads wearing quickly (not particularly with this brand), hearing stories of pads wearing out on one ride. I added a pinch of salt, figuring there was something particularly harsh in their riding environment.

Anyway, fitted these a couple of weeks ago, they need replacing already. That's about 300 miles, most of which is a completely flat commute on car free cycle path. I'm astonished at the wear rate!

I guess the flipside to this is that they're possibly saving my rims from wear.

+1. Extremely soft lasted about a fortnight on the commuter. Funky red colour though!
  • righty
    righty Posts: 278
    i think the point of them is not wearing rims so if you have alpha 340's or other thin rims then its worth using these to save on rim wear
    http://mibsolutions.co.uk Office Fitout Reconfiguration and Relocation 24/7