Reattaching front wheel - issues.

Fifenewbie
Fifenewbie Posts: 44
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I take the front wheel off my bike to get it in the back of my car. When reattaching the wheel, every time without fail, the brake pads are rubbing against the disc. If i spin the wheel, it appears to run freely, but, when i put any weight on the front of the bike, thers rubbing. I then have to spend ages pi##ing about trying to readjust the wheel, but, cant ever get it 100% - is there a `trick of the trade` I could use to ensure its good? I just want to be able to put the wheel back on with no dramas and go!. Does anyone else encounter this? Thanks a lot for any help guys. :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't pull the brakes without the wheel in.
    Use a spacer when you take the wheel off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit the pad spacer that should have come with the brakes/bike. Or make something to put between the pads when the wheel is out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    It's not the wheel that needs readjusting, it's the pads that need pushing back.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • a trick I was shown by my dh'er sister was to wiggle/shake the wheel from side to side a couple of times when it is in the dropouts but before tightening skewer. That works for me.
  • Thanks guys - no, i never got a pad spacer with the bike, and, wasnt aware that you should be putting a spacer between the pads when you have the wheel off either :oops: - can I push the pads back using a plastic tyre lever? can i buy a pad spacer then or what could I use instead?
  • cooldad
    Yes, or just stick the tyre lever in, will probably work as a spacer. Or just be careful not to pull the brake lever.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Personally I use a small strip of cardboard, pulled off a box* or whatever, and folded enough times to get the right width. Doesn't have to be anything "special" or expensive.

Also it's preferable not to squeeze the brake lever when the bike is not upright, even if you've put a spacer in.

* It's usually off a Wiggle box so I suppose it IS expensive...
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Get a bigger car. I can fit a longtail bike in my astra estate with the wheels on.

Or get roofbars or a carrier.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Get a bigger car.
    An excellent suggestion, and only slightly more expensive than a piece of cardboard. :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You must do the QR up to the same tension each time.