If I get a track frame can I put parts from a hybrid on it?

monkeydan
monkeydan Posts: 95
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Sup,

I don't know much about bikes but I know what I like, and that is single speed bikes. I miss mine and am thinking about trying to put one together.

At the moment I have an old Trek 7.3FX. If I buy a new frameset, what parts from my Trek would I be able to use on the new frame? I have spent literally minutes searching for answers but pretty much everything I can find is about converting an old bike in its entirety to a fixie / SS, not about sticking old parts on a new frame.

This has made me very confused so I'm trying to figure out what bits I would need to get a decent bike together?

I'm looking at the Surly Steamroller or Genesis Flyer framesets, could I use the wheels, brakes, seatpost, etc. from my Trek? I would be looking at getting drop handlebars so would need new brake levers.

Bear in mind I am probably the least practical person in the world so this may not be a good idea but any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Comments

• Wheels: Probably not, as the rear hub would be too wide, the front would fit.
    Brakes: Nope, they look like v-brakes, roadie brakes would be required.
    Seatpost: Depends on the thickness, but possibly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This will likely be most people's response when reading this.

I know I've done it before, but it's still funny
  • Wheels: Probably not, as the rear hub would be too wide, the front would fit.

I think you're right - the Trek is 130mm and it looks like the Surly frame is 120mm. If I got a new hub could I still use the same rim? What about spokes?

They are v-brakes on the Trek, roadie brakes are caliper brakes?

Rick, thanks, I'm at work so will watch the link later. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think you will find this a nightmare:

rear wheel needs rebuilding with a new hub - probably new spokes, more than likely.
    Buy caliper brakes
    Also, there is the faff of stripping down your crankset and getting chainring bolts - always looks messy.

In all honesty, allot of work, pain and probably money spent on parts to convert.

What I would do is:

take gears off trek, get a singlespeed tensioner kit and convert the rear hub - remove derailleur, add tensioner, strip down chainset to single ring.

Cost is just the SS kit.
  • monkeydan wrote:
    Wheels: Probably not, as the rear hub would be too wide, the front would fit.

I think you're right - the Trek is 130mm and it looks like the Surly frame is 120mm. If I got a new hub could I still use the same rim? What about spokes?

They are v-brakes on the Trek, roadie brakes are caliper brakes?

Rick, thanks, I'm at work so will watch the link later. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

I suspect the trek would have 135mm spacing, that's the MTB standard. The road frames would have 130mm. It's not a massive difference, some people just bend a steel frame a little to accommodate, an old bike of mine had that done, the wheel was never central.

If the hub you got was the same-ish flange height, you *may* get away with re-using the spokes, depending on length. If you're happy to rebuild a wheel, then a new hub would probably sort it. Your rims probably wouldn't be right for skinny tyres, though, so there may be problems with fork clearance.

V-brakes have a different pull to road brakes, so road levers wouldn't pull them enough, they probably wouldn't fit to your frame either, as road frames only have drillings for caliper brakes.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Assuming the current rear wheel is built on a dished hub, those spokes might not be much use on a symmetrical one.
  • The Trek is a hybrid so I think it's 130mm, it takes 700 x 32C wheels / tyres / whatever the hell that measurement is.

I don't really want to keep the Trek frame though... y'know, steel is real and all that. Plus (sad as it sounds) I don't like the look of chain tensioners. I've also heard they are not very reliable if you decide to go fixed (which I might once I have lost enough weight to get into some skinny jeans).

I might just say f*** it and buy a new bike. Decisions, decisions...
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Your best bet would be to tell the other half that the wise bods on here have told you that a new bike would be best, new bikes are always the answer, no matter what the question!