Trail options for a day at Afan

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
edited October 2011 in Routes
OK, so a couple of us are off to Afan for a day next Monday and we're trying to figure what route(s) to do.

Penhydd is closed, so I reckon the options are:
- Skyline: pretty much an all day job - as in might be tricky to fit anything else in as well.
- 2 laps of White's Level
- 2 laps of The Wall, or
- W2 (White's + The Wall).

What do you reckon?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I prefer Whites so would be tempted by 2 laps of that. W2 misses out some bits, so if you want to do both I would do the Wall then drive up to Whites.
    Whites just seems to have twice as much fun stuff, and the climb is quite technical too, so can be fun as well. The final bit of the descent is smile making.
    The Wall is a fun down, but seems much shorter, and the climb is a lot of fireroad, so boring.

Or drive a bit further and do Gorlech at Brechfa. Best of the lot. You could do Whites and Gorlech in a day quite easily.

IMHO of course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I agree - Whites and Brechfa (Gorlech trail) would be my vote :D

In my experience Skyline isn't an all day trail though, I think it took us about 3 1/2 hours, so you could easilyfit in an afternoon blast of Whites after that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for that.

I think Brechfa is worth a separate day on its own - fancy doing Gorlech and Raven which is probably a day's worth.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    True. The blue? at Brechfa is also supposed to be good fun, easy cruise but I've never done it.

It's all fun though, and has to be better than the peaks of Kent aka Bedgebury.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    cooldad wrote:
    True. The blue? at Brechfa is also supposed to be good fun, easy cruise but I've never done it.

It's all fun though, and has to be better than the peaks of Kent aka Bedgebury.
    Also heard that about the Brechfa Blue - wonder whether you could do all 3 in a day?

Agree - Bedgebury is good (more so for night rides IMO), but Wales is partly why I've bought a runabout car for my time off. Have time, will travel...
  • Stevo_666
    miss notax wrote:
    In my experience Skyline isn't an all day trail though, I think it took us about 3 1/2 hours, so you could easilyfit in an afternoon blast of Whites after that.
    If my legs could handle it :D
  • mikef2
    mikef2 Posts: 8
    You can get the best of both worlds....overlay the whites map onto skyline first.
    When you get to the top of the main climb (& whiz around the black run and back to the top again) DO NOT go off on Whites but head along Skyline......if you look at the map after a few sections there is a short cut down a stream bed that puts you on the finishing bit of Skyline....you can follow this right down to the start, or, at the top of the first section on whites climb, where the forrest road is, turn right to get back onto whites route to complete. That way you get a third/half of Skyline AND whites. If you check out the trail maps it fairly obvious where the shortcut is (it used to be marked as 'shortcut' on the map, dunno if it still is).
    Enjoy.
  • mikef2
    mikef2 Posts: 8
    ..actually..it might be turn left at the forest road on the way down not turn right? Can't remember...but its on the trail map.........
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    mikef2 wrote:
    When you get to the top of the main climb (& whiz around the black run and back to the top again) DO NOT go off on Whites but head along Skyline..... Enjoy.

Agreed - Whites, and then Whites climb to Skyline descent was very enjoyable. I can send you a gpx if you PM your email address.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for the tips. folks :)

Bartimaeus, you have PM.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. folks :)

Bartimaeus, you have PM.

you've forgotten the july trail:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/afan-july-trail
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cooldad wrote:
    I prefer Whites so would be tempted by 2 laps of that. W2 misses out some bits, so if you want to do both I would do the Wall then drive up to Whites.
    Whites just seems to have twice as much fun stuff, and the climb is quite technical too, so can be fun as well. The final bit of the descent is smile making.
    The Wall is a fun down, but seems much shorter, and the climb is a lot of fireroad, so boring.

Or drive a bit further and do Gorlech at Brechfa. Best of the lot. You could do Whites and Gorlech in a day quite easily.

IMHO of course.

What bits does W2 miss out? none i think :S

In my opinion Whites is a junk trail with pretty dull decents that daudle there way down, i prefer the wall decents, But i'd be on Skyline or July probably July twice as the end decent is by far the best at the centre :)
  • Stevo_666
    That one didn't show up on any of my googling - wonder why? Anyhow, thanks Kev!
  • welshkev
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That one didn't show up on any of my googling - wonder why? Anyhow, thanks Kev!

i don't think it's an 'official' trail, just one that guys have made up to get the best bits 8)
  • Thewaylander
    Basically it started of as local hand written sign someone mnicknamed July, and it became and unofficial trail that is one of the prefered routes for Afan for locals.

Its now labelled as short cut 1 in case your wondereing :)
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2011
    In my opinion Whites is a junk trail with pretty dull decents that daudle there way down, i prefer the wall decents,
    Waylander, after doing White's I'm with you on your view of it.

That extra pint the night before probably didn't help on the climb, but I kept waiting for this great descent that never came. A lot of the surface is quite 'jittery' and towards the end it just got irritating.

And to cap it off, the flow of the whole thing gets badly broken up by what must have been 20-odd of those f*****g annoying narrow gates that are designed to stop motcrossers from using the trail. How many do they need FFS?

As you can tell I didn't get on with White's :( Next time I go back that way I'll take Kevs advice and try the Wall, though I reckon I'll do Brechfa first.
  • Thewaylander
    Woop! someone else with taste,

And do July mate :p thats fairly good fun :)
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Bit late to the party on this, but what the hell....

Skyline and another trail are doable in a day - we did Skyline and Whites Level a couple of weeks back, in glorious weather.

BUT - having ridden Skyline (mainly to tick it off the list), I'd be taking the shortcut route suggested above to do the end sections - the best part of that trail for me.

I don't really get on with the final White's Level descent either (Darkside?) but mainly because I'm a bit crap at the rock steps. Much prefer the end sections of Skyline.

And when you're heading back home to Kent (assuming you're doing an overnight stop) I'd recommend a stop off at Cwmcarn and ride the Twrch trail. Can get there mid morning, ride that and be back in Kent by 4-5pm.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personal really innit, you can do Skyline and another trail, but plenty of people would be wiped out after that.

The climb on the Wall is dire, but I'm inclined to agree on the descents, I don't really think White's is that amazing. Ideally you'd be able to do some sort of combination of the two, climbing White's then going down the Wall. They should combine the two, with a linking piece along the ridge. They could call it White Wall or maybe W2... :-)

Brechfa is very good, the green/blue are good fun, not technical, but very fast and flowing. The black's not vastly technical either, definitely recommend a trip there.
  • Thewaylander
    Yeh but most are not gonna ride 40k just to do a few good sections of decent that the wall has. so they can keep the slightly less boring climb from whites, particuarly since they have virtually concreted over any slightly challenging or interesting bits of it :(

My temptation would be ride up whites/skyline, do the black, do Windy point loop back up, chug across to the top of skylines last decent and woop down it, its all the best bits of that side done :p while ignoring the awful chaff of the rest of the trail the i can go across the bottom and ride the wall if i fancy :)

This is my advice for people with simmilar taste in riding like stevo to me :p
  • Stevo_666
    This is my advice for people with simmilar taste in riding like stevo to me :p
    Taste but probably not ability :oops: but that what I've bought the 'bruiser' for, to get myself sorted on some of the bigger stuff while I have the time off to venture outside of the flatlands. Mind you, a day like yesterday did have me wondering whether it's worth doing 400 mile round trips, hopefully I'll have better luck next time. My riding buddy seemed to like it and annoyingly was a fair bit faster :evil:

@Njee - agree, Brechfa is next on the hit list, sounds good fun. Saw a bit of it last year but had my 8 yr old daughter with me so couldn't get off the green :cry:

@AMcK - Yep, did a stopover but the night before. Went via Cwmcarn on Sunday to meet a mate who had just finished an uplift day there, then went on to the B&B. They're not far apart so that's do-able.
  • Hi guys

Very interesting to hear so many different options on a small range of trails. Shows how riders prefer different flavours of singletrack. Everyone I speak to rates Whites Level as a favourite. Personally, I love Skyline!!

Cheers, happy riding!
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • I'll just point out that the Black, Blue and Green at Brechfa are closed until Feburary as I understand it.

The Gorlech is still open, and well worth the visit, but depends on whether 20km is worth the extra drive for you.

One option would be to do the Gorlech, and pop up to Cwm Rhaydr for a couple of laps of the course (it's very short, but awesome fun).
  • Stevo_666
    kerpoise wrote:
    I'll just point out that the Black, Blue and Green at Brechfa are closed until Feburary as I understand it.
    Bugger, that's my November trip farked then :evil: Closed until 1st December according to this:
    http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/bases/brechfa/brechfa.aspx
  • welshkev
    TrailGuru wrote:
    Hi guys

Very interesting to hear so many different options on a small range of trails. Shows how riders prefer different flavours of singletrack. Everyone I speak to rates Whites Level as a favourite. Personally, I love Skyline!!

Cheers, happy riding!

possibly because people who ride it come from somewhere flat like cambridge or somewhere and people who ride different places more often realise it's not that great?

just a theory....and no offence to anyone who lives in cambridge :lol: