Scott Sportser 55 Vs Cannondale Quick CX3

aletank
aletank Posts: 5
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi Guys
I'm looking at getting a bike on the Cycle Scheme, I'm going to be using the bike for a 5 mile commute,around the park at weekends and other little trips.
I will be having full mudguards fitted and a rear rack for my pannier bag.
A Scott Sportser 55 and a Cannondale Quick CX 3 is the top of my list at the moment (see links below)

The Scott is £470 and the Cannondale is £600 , I was wondering is the Cannondale worth the extra ?

I was looking at a Trex 7.3 FX & Specialized Sirrus Elite but I'm not sure if they are up to the Pot holed/rough roads and a little bit of curb hopping.

Thanks for any help :wink:

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes- ... en-p194538

www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b100s18p2844/C ... S_GB/11597

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    You're obviously looking at a specific type of bike - hybrid with front suspension. Just wondering why?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    You're obviously looking at a specific type of bike - hybrid with front suspension. Just wondering why?
    I want a bike with - upright riding position for better viewing, I'd feel safer.
    - 700c Wheels & Larger front sprocket for that extra speed.

I'm not that fussed about Suspension or Disc Brakes as i don't feel i'll really need them. As I said I was considering a Trek 7.2 FX or Specialized Sirrus Elite but I'm not sure if the thinner wheels/tyres are up to the odd bit of pavement hoping, bumpy patched roads with sunken grids, pot holes and speed bumps.

The couple of bikes I put links up to caught my eye in the shop the other day, they have the upright riding position, 700c wheels and larger front sprocket . I liked the look of them which is also a plus point.

I've still got the 7.3FX & Sirrus Elite in my mind - just not too sure

Thanks For the Reply
    Anymore advice greatly appreciated :wink:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Upright riding position or flat bar? Have you tried a bike with drop bars?

I'd steer clear of anything with suspension and try and get something that's more 'road' derived than hybrid or MTB based. From the sounds of it you're going to be sticking to road or paved areas? Something with a rigid fork will offer more efficiency.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Flat bars I think, No i haven't tried dropped bars, people I've spoke to have said it's a totally different riding style - I'm use to a MTB
    Yeah mostly Road/Paved Areas - i have a 2002 Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB if I do want to go on trails etc
    I currently use the Marin for work, i have Semi-Slick Tyres on it but it's a bit small for me, I'm 5ft 10 and the frame is a 17 inch. I get into the highest gear and i still need a higher gear as my legs are spinning quite fast !
    I'll have a look at the Trek 7.2FX again and the Sirrus Elite, which may be better with the carbon forks to soak up any little bumps better.

Thanks Again :wink:
  • I bought a Trek 7.5 FX for my commute, which was OK but never felt that sprightly.

It got nicked after 6 weeks and I bought a proper road bike (a Specialized Secteur so in theory with a slightly more relaxed riding position than a full on race machine).

It was such a good decision! It's so much faster, more comfortable, feels like the right tool for the job etc etc.

I was a bit scared about getting it because I'd always ridden MTBs before, but it's honestly worth looking at. I had to ride my MTB (with light wheels and 1.3" slicks on) to work on Wednesday and it felt horrible. My wrists ached (even though I have Ergon grips) and it was so slow up the hills.

If you really feel you must go for something with flat bars, I'd go for something as close to a road bike as possible. Perhaps a Giant Rapid or the Specialized Sirrus (like you suggested).

I haven't had a problem with my bike doing the occasional kerb and pothole.

One of the things that helped me make the decision was that I never really saw anyone on the internet say "oh I went from an MTB to a road bike and can't stand it" - the people saying it was different, difficult to get used to, not suitable - those all seemed to be people who'd never tried it! :-)

Dave
  • +1

I was also considering hybrids when I decided to start cycling to work. The main reason for this was that I was worried about using drop handlebars. However, after listening to the advice from people on these forums, I too went for a Secteur and am enjoying it immensely. I used to think that there are a bunch of roadie evangelists on here but now I know they have a point!

A couple of points worth mentioning.

First that it took no time whatsoever to get used to riding a road bike with drop handlebars. You are right, it is a different style from a mountain bike but if you are planning to stick mainly to roads, then this difference is a good difference. I did some road riding in Spain this summer on a borrowed mountain bike, and aside from it being a lot slower than a road bike (which was to be expected) the riding position and hand position was supremely uncomfortable. I find riding on hoods is a much more comfortable hand position than on a flat bar and you have plenty of options to change position, which is handy too.

Second, you get a better view on a road bike than you might think. If you set your bike up properly, then your seat should lift your feet off the ground when you are sat on it. This puts you comfortably above your average car driver, thus giving a good view of the road.

Having said that I've no doubt that over 5 miles, a hybrid would be perfectly fine and for leisurely cycling about would probably be better than a road bike. But if you want to get somewhere as efficiently as possible (which you mostly do on your way to work) or for covering any reasonable distance, you won't be sorry if you go for a road bike.
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6