Cycling in New Dehli

cdc02254
cdc02254 Posts: 181
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
Anyone have any experience of riding a bike around New Delhi?, I have to go for two weeks work on Monday and have just realised I can take my bike free of charge. Just wondering if it would be worth taking my bike and try and get some fun out of being there.

Regards

Brett

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    cdc02254 wrote:
    Anyone have any experience of riding a bike around New Delhi?, I have to go for two weeks work on Monday and have just realised I can take my bike free of charge. Just wondering if it would be worth taking my bike and try and get some fun out of being there.

Regards

Brett

You ever been to India before?

Maybe 10 years since I last worked there, and travelled thru Delhi quite a lot, and wouldnt have fancied riding my bike in the city then, and I daresay there is lot more road traffic now.

Out in the sticks though, would be fine.
  • cdc02254
    No not been before but will need something to relieve the boredom.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    cdc02254 wrote:
    No not been before but will need something to relieve the boredom.

Presume you will be working all day, so will only have a weekend or two to fill in?

Easy to arrange a car/driver to go to Agra - Taj Mahal, long day but worth doing. Hotels can usually sort it out.

Red Fort in Delhi also worth a visit.

Other than that, I generally loafed aroung the hotel swimming pool :) .
  • cdc02254
    Ill be working at the new F1 circuit so I can do a few laps of that.

I think as its free to take a bike to India on Virgin ill take it and judge the situation when I get there and worst case scenario I ride the circuit in the evenings.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I was in Delhi in April. You could not pay me enough money to ride a bike there, it is absolute chaos.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    +1

It's really pretty crazy. I'd think it over if I were you.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    May be you are better to borrow or hire a bike locally.and even buy a cheap 2nd hand dutch style Hero bike.than risk taking your own and finding it a mistake Been 3 times to New Dehli but not in recent years.(1997).Think you will get lost on a bike there but Check out blogs on the Crazy guy on a bike website who may tell you different.

Dehli Market area was the busiest place on earth with Cyclos Tut Tuts and Taxis all gridlocked and even pedesestrians ion the sidewalk fighting for the few inches of space there was.No named streets etc it was hard enough walking through it.You will probably be dependant on cyclos and Tuttots for your survival.cos there few street names.and distances immense.Everythging was long hard bargaining which tires you out within minutes..and theres Dehli belly of course to avoid.(Best take some tight bike clips ).Surviving the heat,and having the right clothes is essential too.cos you might roast and get dirty quick if its dusty and dry..You get great fond memories and plenty of stories though.
    jc
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I have been there a couple of times in the past two years for work and am going again next month.
    The roads are madness. There is no lane discipline, cows and elephants wandering about, piles of rubble everywhere. Cycling would be suicide. Being in a car is bad enough. The company that I visit lay on a car with a European friendly driver. That means one that doesn't aim for a non-existent gap in the traffic blasting his horn and expecting everything to move out of his way.
    There is order in the chaos but you need to be a local to understand it.
  • cdc02254 wrote:
    Ill be working at the new F1 circuit so I can do a few laps of that.

I think as its free to take a bike to India on Virgin ill take it and judge the situation when I get there and worst case scenario I ride the circuit in the evenings.

Prob your best bet (the circuit lapping) or get a driver to take you and bike well out of the city before you start riding. Echo most of the thoughts above, traffic is chaotic and very difficult to deal with unless you have local knowledge, road quality is very varied.

Forget the bike and hire a car to go exploring instead at weekends, do post-work circuit laps in the evenings (probably the best road surface you'll find). I assume it will be floodlit? If not take some decent front light - gets dark at 6pm every day, and I always found it got dark very quickly - not much twilight.

Enjoy yourself, it's a great country.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    cdc02254 wrote:
    gets dark at 6pm every day, and I always found it got dark very quickly - not much twilight.

The reason there's no twilight is because the sun seems to get swallowed up by the thick layer of smog about 20 minutes before sunset :lol:
  • jc4lab
    Wouldnt give up entirely on it. but would search out a guide or friend with local knowledge...If its your first visiIt to India its one of first learning survival basics and learning what you up against..Heat protection,right clothes,that dont make you sweat like a pig,Dehli belly,)hard bargainning for everything,dealing with persistant beggers and touts and street vendors..How you get around.from a to b..all needs to be sussed out..thens theres .pick pockets(,got me good and proper first time at Dehli Station) and making sure you dont lose your passport .Its pretty safe but you will get robbed if you let your guard down .Love the hassle and the people who are friendly although its a bit intense .Been 3 times..Tip for the Taj Mahal if you can get there..Go sundown up or sun down and watch it change color .The choas at Dehli market(old City) &.the magifiance of Amber Fort at Jaipur are must sees if you get the chance
    jc
  • jc4lab
    http://www.delhibycycle.com/timeprice.asp
    ...just to add,,Your idea really appeals if it can be done..Found this but dont know if its up and running ...some interesting facts & note how early they have to start and finish though..
    jc
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I've ridden a few times in New Delhi and I discovered that cows are quite soft so long as you don't run into the bits with horns sticking out.

It is, as you can imagine, pretty chaotic. Don't make the mistake of wearing lycra or you'll find yourself with lots of new admirers. The minor laneways are lethal because of overhanging electric power lines (they brush the top of your head when walking, but when cycling....

The 'new' parts of New Delhi are actually not bad to cycle as the roads are very wide, and so long as you just go with the flow of the chaos, it can be quite fun, and a great way to get around.

But I have to say, and I've ridden in lots of cities around the world, pretty much any Indian city is very low in my 'need to do again' list for cycling. By all means bring your bike and have a few rides, I'm sure you'll find some decent stretches of road (especially if you get up around dawn when its coolish and not too crowded), but its generally more of an 'experience', than enjoyable.