double to triple - quert

knack-knees
knack-knees Posts: 56
edited October 2011 in Workshop
HI there, new to the forum as I'm new to road biking so hope this isn't going to get shot down :D

I've bought a 2nd hand trek 2006 bike 3 months ago (doesn't say which model) which has a double chainset and 105 groupset. Bike is fantastic and goes like the wind!

I live in Herefordshire, near the brecon's and the hills are tough which I usually run. The problem is that I haven't got enough gears to go up the steep hills.

I bought an ultegra hollowtech II triple chainset off ebay (£56), thinking I'd just bolt it on but have since learnt that I've been naive in not checking compatabillity. So my query is:

Can my STI shifter take to a triple (they have 3 clicks at present), if yes how do I adjust ( :oops: )
Do I need a new chain
Do I need a compatible triple FD/RD
Am I being dumb!

I did pull back the STI rubber boot but didn't see any reference numbers to post, but my rear cassette is 10 speed.

I honestly have looked around at this topic and there's so many variables hence the post.

Any assistance truly appreciated.

Comments

• Need to know the shifter model, the number is cast into the plastic under the rubber hood, you`ll need to peel it right back, it`s on the inside face usually.

Chain will be fine, front mech needs to be swapped to a triple though (plenty about S/H) any Shimano triple mech will do it, Tiagra is reliable and cheep :)

Did you get the HT II bottom bracket (bearings in the frame) with the chainset? Will most likely be different to what your bike has fitted, being 2006.

What cassette have you got fitted? 12 - 27 is best option for hilly country, and if your shifter ISN`T triple-compatible then easiest option is a compact double chainset (50 - 34) instead, and 12-27 cassette and that should get you up most hills, that`s what I use, steepest hills round here I`ve seen on the road is 15%, which is pretty steep :shock:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    You will need a new shifter if you're going from a double to a triple. Thats why they sell double and triple versions :) The extra click is a trim click (i.e. just a small adjustment to get rid of chain rub). I think my triple clicks five or so times.

Chain will depend on the whether the big rings are different sizes. I went from a triple to a double on my road bike, and kept my chain. But the big rings were identical.

You'll also need a new front derailleur. Again, that's why they sell different versions.

To be honest, this isn't a small job if you don't have much experience. If you're going to DIY, make sure you spend some time reading up on what you're going to need to do.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    You will need to make sure the front mech is 10 speed triple, not sure if the new tiagra 10 makes one yet. Also you will need a long cage rear mech to take out the extra slack in the chain ( which will almost certainly need to be replaced with a longer one). So in essence- chainset, levers, front and rear mech, chain. Not easy!
  • derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    As far as I know, 105 shifters will work on both double and triple. I changed from a double to a triple with no problems, but you will need a new front mech. and you may need to check chain length
  • Thanks guys.

What I'll do on Friday is count the teeth on the chainset and rear cassette, as I don't know if it's a compact double or not (being 2006). I mig better changing the rear cassette as I don't want to fork out for new shifters, most expensive part probably.

In some parts the hills are 25% which is what's killing me. For young folk it'll be a 'breeze' but I'm in my 40's - but I still attack it most weekends out of principle.

Heart gets to 185 bpm!

Ps - It did come with a BB, clueless as to whether it will fit. Not put off too much by fd/rd (2nd hand) but shifters would make it a firm no.
  • 25% :shock: Not many 1 in 4 hills around these parts :)

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    it won't matter if the front mech is 9 or 10 speed, the difference is minimal (i have 9spd fd on a 10 speed triple. But you may need a long cage rear mech as well.

2006 chainset is unlikely to be a compact, they only really got popular in the last couple of years even though the 110 BCD chainrig size has been around for ages (used to be the 'old' mtb triple chainset standard)...anyway.

While I'm a fan of triples myself, your most cost effective option would be to get a wide range MTB cassette, new chain and a MTB rear mech and keep your existing double chainset and shifters.

If you got a 12-34 cassette and have a 39T front ring then you've got a bottom gear close to what you'll get with a 30T triple and 27 on the cassette. just might look a bit 'non-roadie'
  • okay I'm back from my trip and went into the garage and counted the teeth on front and rear chainset/cassette.

Front - 34/50
    Rear - 12/27
    shifter are - ST 5600

Am I wasting my time with a triple, as I appear to have a similar triple setup in the double? I take it is a compact double, is it strange on a 2005 bike? Ref JohnnyAllez - I have the spec you mentioned :D - perhaps the problem is the rider (me!) as it sounds like I have a 'hill setup'.

Any advice welcomed - it maybe that I have to resell the triple ultegra, if so so be it.

In case anyone's interested this is what I got off ebay for £224, bit battered and bruised but I do like it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 642wt_1270
  • To be honest, if you regularly encounter hills as steep as you say, then I`d be looking at riding somewhere less severe, they don`t ride stuff anything like that steep in the TdF :wink:

• JA - I think you're onto something there, the 1 in 4 hills aren't everywhere but en route to nice rides. It's the idiot in me saying I need to go up it as I'm in my 40's.

Is there any decent websites that elevation for route, google maps sadly doesn't.
  • I often plan routes on mapmyride.com which does elevation.

For instance:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/54149562

Which is very steep for me (as a Hampshire boy) but probably not so steep for you :-)

Dave
  • thanks Dave - that is an excellent tool, had a quick go and seems just what I need.
  • MikeM22
    MikeM22 Posts: 14
    To be honest 25% is sharp. I have a Compact with a 11-25 on the back. I find this tough to turn on anything over 20% (I am also over 40!).

Oh and yes, you have a Comapct 50/34T chainset.

For a quick win you could put on a cassette on the back, there are ranges that go up to 30T plus (though any bigger than this may start to foul your rear mech.. depending on the type you have). You could pick an ok one up for around £30.. just to see how much it helps.

I don't think you have too much option on the front if you want to keep costs down. There are other variants of compact chainsets (other that 50/34) but most of them differ in the larger chainring and I don't think there are any that have less than the 34T on the smaller (but I may be wrong). I guess if you could find one this would be an option to moving to a triple.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Another approach is an SRAM 12-32T 10 speed cassette in combination with a 9 speed Shimano Deore MTB rear derailleur. Apparently this will work fine with your current Shimano 105 10 speed shifters. If 12-32T isn't enough there is a 12-36T SRAM cassette.

CTC Forum - shimano 105 10 speed SRAM Apex cassette

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Just keep on riding these hills. They will get easier. I use 34/27 and can just manage the 25% ones round here. It is the 30% ones that get me. Fitting the triple would only get you one lower gear so is not worth spending a lot of money on.
    Age does not matter too much (I am 69). You just get a bit slower (and gasp harder).