Easiest way from Leadenhall market to Tower bridge

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
OK,

Last few commutes over London Bridge have been horrendous, so might try going over Tower Bridge instead.

Anyone who does both know if TB is less traffic-some than LB of an evening?

If so, what would be the best way to get there from Leadenhall Mkt?

Over Fenchurch St onto Mincing Ln then onto Great Tower St?

Cheers,
fj
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    leandehall st / minories / one way system to tower bridge?

once over TB turn left into Grange Rd and follow the bike traffic down to Tescos on OKR.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FoldingJoe wrote:

I'd go this way. When you get the green lights to turn left onto Byward St (?), you should have plenty of space behind you because the traffic coming up Thames St will be stopped at the reds.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284

cjcp is right, although I use Rood Lane (the one before Mincing Lane) as it's not as busy with peds or cars.
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    I start on Rood Lane and then go left on Great Tower St.

It's okay all the way down to the right turn onto the bridge (taxi's/bus/bikes only). The only thing that gets me is the phasing of the lights to turn right onto the bridge. I think there is a sensor there, because when there is a taxi there, they change immediately on their cycle. If there's no taxis I've waited up to three changes before they give you a green (yes - i don't RLJ - so I've spent quite a bit of time sitting here).

If a taxi (or a stretch limo!) comes behind you, make sure you give them room to come to the line, so the sensor gets triggered. I've had quite a few pleasant (no sarcasm) chats with cabbies at these lights.
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ariba wrote:
    I start on Rood Lane and then go left on Great Tower St.

It's okay all the way down to the right turn onto the bridge (taxi's/bus/bikes only). The only thing that gets me is the phasing of the lights to turn right onto the bridge. I think there is a sensor there, because when there is a taxi there, they change immediately on their cycle. If there's no taxis I've waited up to three changes before they give you a green (yes - i don't RLJ - so I've spent quite a bit of time sitting here).

If a taxi (or a stretch limo!) comes behind you, make sure you give them room to come to the line, so the sensor gets triggered. I've had quite a few pleasant (no sarcasm) chats with cabbies at these lights.

Had exactly the same issues when I worked in St Katherine Docks! Very annoying.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FoldingJoe
    Cheers, will give that a try.

Oddly enough, on Wednesday evening I stuck to LB and it was fine, but I think that was more luck than judgement!! :)

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    Do you have to go around the one way system onto Mansell St to get onto TB Approach?