Corsica

pdstsp
pdstsp Posts: 1,264
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
Planning a four day mini-tour (credit card touring and very very lightweight) next June and considering Corsica. Just wondered if anyone has much experience to share regards the cycling, roads and place to stay. I'll be doing some research myself but would value the experiences of anyone here.

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Four days isn't an awful lot. Corsica is one of the world's great cycling destinations: it's hard to think of anywhere that has so much spectacular scenery packed into such a small area. Go for longer if you possibly can - you won't regret it.

In four days I'd say go round the Cap Corse and then head for the north-west coast then turn inland after the Calanches (sorry I've temporarily forgotten the names of the places) and head over the top back towards Bastia.

In four days don't be tempted to go round the island. The east coast road especially can be a bit dull.

The roads aren't desperately steep: they generally tend to follow the valley sides - but you could be in for some big climbs - IIRC the biggest is sea level to 1400m.

Corsica is France's most depopulated area - especially inland in the mountains. Make sure you have enough cash (cash machines inland are few and far between) and carry some spare food just in case. In June you should have plenty of choice of places to stay, but a bit of resesrch in advance is worthwhile.
  • pdstsp
    Thanks for that Andy - I'm getting the map out tonight to do a bit of planning so I'll follow your suggestions and see what sort of route I can plan. Unfortunately 4 days is all I'm going to get because of other commitments for holidays (wife and kids!!).
    In recent years I have done similar trips round the Alps, Ventoux and Maritime Alps so fancied a change this year and the island looks beautiful even on a map!. So if I come back raving about the place herself and the small ones m,ay be persuaded next year which would give a longer trip - its worked before!

Thanks again.

Paul
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Corsica is a beautiful island. I haven't cycled on it yet but will one day. You can't go wrong for scenery on the north and west of the island.
    If you get inland to Corte a great place to stay is L'Albadu, a popular B&B and equestrian centre.

Like Andy Miller says, four days is not enough. How are you getting there and back? Flights only tend to go once a week so it could get expensive.
  • pdstsp
    Thanks for the info. Just looking at possible flights and take your point - looking tricky - may have to go to the negotiating table. :D
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Just show them this website and they'll be putty in your hands! I camped here and it's a very clean site. The bungalows seemed good value.

http://www.camping-oliviers-porto.com/index_gb.htm
  • andymiller
    The road I was thinking of was via Evisa and Ota (IIRC). There are some spectacular gorges there. So in fact you'd need to go up to the Calanches then double back and take the road from Porto (the Calanches are worth seeing twice).

Another option would be to fly into Bastia and out of Ajaccio.

The traditional way to go is anti-clockwise as you are on the side of the road nearest the sea. This does however have the disadvantage that this is the direction a most of the traffic is going in. I did the north west coast going clockwise and there were times when I was quite glad I wasn't on a narrow road with a campervan on one side and a big drop on the other (but then I guess it depends on what sort of head for heights you have).
  • If you can't fly direct, there are ferries from fFrance and Italy, but then you'd lose some valuable time. Four days isn't much at all and I would echo Andy - head around Cap Corse from Bastia and take it from there.

I went a few years ago and you can see some pics and a write-up here...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 6329&v=1Bb
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • pdstsp
    Wow - there are some amazing images in there and I really want to go. Flights may well be a problem but from what you have all said, time is a bigger one - we simply don't have enough!! For that reason the ferry is possibly out of the equation.
    Going to cook a wonderful meal tonight and broach the idea of a full week, though the fairly recent lejog is still fresh in her mind!

Thanks for all the advice and I'll let you know the outcome.

Paul
  • andymiller
    There are day ferries from Toulon and Nice (or at least there were the last time I looked). And night ferries from Marseille.

When you said four days I assumed four days excluding travel time.

Your best bet would be to sign up the family. I'd suggest hiring a car and stayin in say two or three places. You could say cycle in the morning (Corsica in June is likely to be hot) and meet for lunch with the afternoon on the beach - or wherever - with the family.

The Rough Guide to Corsica is useful, but the best guide (at least if you read French) is probably the Guide Routard.

Do post again if this becomes a serious project as I could suggest some places (but I'd need to look at a map to jog my memory).