replacing headset cups - repeatable?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Had my Works angled headset fitted and whilst it's probably very nice, I preferred it the way it was for some of my riding. How often do you think you can swap cups over? If I picked up a press, could I swap it over from time to time without risking cracking the tube?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which headset?

as the CC one just needs the inserts changing and not the press fit cups.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    there seems to be no guidance on this matter on-line

but cups / frame tolerance will change slightly every time (even just the coating will effect the sizing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_fit

engineering blab below (apologies for the US naming but same ideas)

There are three general categories of fits: 1) Clearance fits for when it may be desirable for the shaft to rotate or slide freely within the hole, this is usually referred to as a "sliding fit." 2) Interference fits for when it is desirable for the shaft to be securely held within the hole, this is usually referred to as an interference fit and 3) Transition fits for when it is desirable that the shaft to be held securely, yet not so securely that it cannot be disassembled, this is usually referred to as a Location or Transition fit.
  • bluechair84
    Estampida - err...... thanks I think.

Nick - it's the works components angled headset. I didn't realise CC one was adjustable - I thought you had to replace the cups. So their gimble allows you to change with inserts does it?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nah, CC you need to replace the cups, had one in bits the other week, the angle changing part was pressed into the frame.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    phew.... was worried I'd bought a duff design then. I'm sure one day you'll be able to adjust. For the time being - anyone care to recommend how often a headtube will take cups being swapped out?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Could you not go back to your old headset and just run your Fork higher to make it slacker, 20% sag? would that work dunno!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sorry, that one I can't help with... Though I'd suggest talking to Ellsworth, they were dead helpful for me. Well, actually, they were totally unhelpful, but willing to try anyway ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Could you not go back to your old headset and just run your Fork higher to make it slacker, 20% sag? would that work dunno!

well, could do, but it's not ideal really. I like a plush fork.

Northwind - I'll email Tony. Good advice................................. You have to have a damn account to email them. :shock: FFS.