North East cyclists sought

cristoff
cristoff Posts: 229
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

Not sure which is appropriate forum.

I am going to be staying in Newcastle for the next 8 months with work and am planning on taking my bike with me, i will get some mileage in commuting to work hopefully.

However, i am the sort that likes a bit of company when doing anything over 20 miles so was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me join them in midweek rides. Between monday - thursday , anytime after 4pm i will be available to anyone who wants a passenger in tow.

I am of reasonable standard and am not a psycho killer or a bore and am polite and have been known to get the coffees in.

However, i am told i have a funny accent by the geordies (not sure how that works!)

Thanks for looking and hope i can get out with you sometime.

I am prepared to travel a bit to meet up

chris

Comments

• i reckon wrong time of year mate. myself and a pal work city centre (Northumbria Uni) and we ride whenever we can, but we've knocked the mid week rides on the head as its too dark really. otherwise we'd be more than happy for you to tag along mate.

we ride weekends (when we can) usually 40 - 50 milers. if you want to tag along of a weekend get in touch and we'll sort details mate.

failing that if you want some info of routes/clubs etc just shout.
  • cristoff
    I am home at weekends mostly, but i will be up there the occasional sat/sun so i might give you a shout.

Regarding routes, i will be living in city (quayside) and working in birtley on the drum ind. est near pelaw dog track and i was looking for a safe route into work, bearing in mind i will be setting out at like, 4.30am :cry:

i thought that i could go across the tyne bridge then drop onto either the A167 or the B1296 old durham road dependant on how busy the roads are.

There is a more, cycle friendly, smaller road route the other side of the A1 but i don't know the area well enough to do it without getting lost i reckon.

whats your thoughts?
  • ColinT2
    ColinT2 Posts: 29
    Hi Chris,
    I'm recently back in the area (just south of Birtley) after a brief stint awa ; available most times and will be able to show you round the area - not at 4:30am I hasten to add though!
    PM me if you're interested
  • the 167 will be fine when its quiet - ie at 4:30 am

its gets very busy through the day though (again prob ok though if your ok on roads in traffic)

tyne bridge will be okay if you take the pavement - i wouldn't touch the road though, you'll be dead within a week. i ride the main route into town rush hour from the coast, that's bad enough. but i wouldn't touch the tyne bridge with yours mate. the swing bridge or even the millennium bridge are a good viable option though. i don't know what other route you could take through gateshead i'm afraid, the 167 it is really. you'll be fine providing you avoid the newcastle end of it somehow as it really is chaotic running down to and across the tyne bridge.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    quayside to drum ind estate

swing or millennium bridge, Teams, Team Valley, Lamesley, Ouston, Drum

under no circumstances cycle over the tyne bridge and unless the roads on the drum ind est have improved you might need an mtb
  • cristoff
    wiffachip wrote:
    quayside to drum ind estate

swing or millennium bridge, Teams, Team Valley, Lamesley, Ouston, Drum

under no circumstances cycle over the tyne bridge and unless the roads on the drum ind est have improved you might need an mtb

that looks to be a winner, thanks mate, keeps me off the main roads